Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Re: IMMIGRATION And BREXIT

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A brilliant post Twink.

To my mind we are stuck in a time warp, a 2 party system based on political ideologies, rather than what is best for the Country.

Whenever we get a change of Government we spend £Billions undoing what the previous Government have done.

We have absolutely no long term planning, unlike other Countries.
Exactly. It is like a pendulum swinging back and forth: political parties and their supporters pulling back and forth against each other.

It is exactly the same with management and unions: always pulling against each other.

It is the society we are and always have been at least since the War, if not for longer.

Will we ever change? Will we ever become like Germany and other countries what find no problem in working together for the common good?

I'm not holding my breath!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Most Eu countries function on coalitions. We have a sort of coalition here. Although I'm not sure it counts.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Well I just find this whole subject amusing now. Everyone seems to be an expert in the field with very forthright views on what everyone is doing wrongly. Apparently every Brexit negotiator is a fool or incapable or not doing it right....... and who says we know what we are talking about ? Basically we don't have a clue as to how things are dealt with, it's only on what the media gives us and quite often with a flair of antagonism.

Obviously such wasted talent here and many must have been in the wrong job all of their lives.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm afraid there's a problem here.

It is no good threatening the present government that we will vote elsewhere if they don't get their fingers out. They know as well as we do that there is no viable alternative.

Can you imagine what would happen if people did take that action and the Loony Party got in? It doesn't even bear thinking about!

All the rest: Limp Dems, Plad Cumru(?), etc. are so tiny that they could never take the place of the government. The SNP represents only Scotland, so could not form a government either.

What we need is another alternative party which would offer exactly what people want. It should be possible to determine quite easily what people want with the communication facilities we benefit from these days.

As I see it, all political parties have their own agendas, usually those that will benefit themselves and their 'mates'. A large proportion of voters don't really know what they want; they just vote for the party they (and their dads!) have always voted for. Their respective parties know what they like to hear and, consequently, offer exactly that in order to ensure their support. Then when they're in power they go back to doing what benefits themselves!
Maybe we should select a few important topics (giving our opinions on how they are being handled) and write to Theresa May or our own MP asking them for a reply.
I would think that Immigration, Terrorists and Brexit are likely to be the most important....... it would be interesting to read the replies.
It wouldn't take more than an hour to write but, depending on whether you have a Tory or Labour MP, I suspect the replies would be very different!
If anybody is interested in doing so, let me know and I will try to post a template so our letters are obviously from a group of people with the same concerns.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Great idea Twink
My MP is Tory .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Great idea Twink
My MP is Tory .
So is mine but she wanted to leave the EU.

I will give the matter some thought and try to design a form that anybody can use to give their opinions. I could send a copy via e mail or post it in a new thread here... providing we are allowed to...... I can check that with Azz or the supervisors on here, if people are interested.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Maybe we should select a few important topics (giving our opinions on how they are being handled) and write to Theresa May or our own MP asking them for a reply.
I would think that Immigration, Terrorists and Brexit are likely to be the most important....... it would be interesting to read the replies.
It wouldn't take more than an hour to write but, depending on whether you have a Tory or Labour MP, I suspect the replies would be very different!
If anybody is interested in doing so, let me know and I will try to post a template so our letters are obviously from a group of people with the same concerns.
I think that's a good idea, Twinky. Yes, please produce a template and, perhaps before we use in en masse, we should all suggest any perceived improvements. If we can all agree on them we can write as a collective body.

Mind you, I'm not at all confident that we shall all agree!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-08-2017, 02:07 PM

So is mine but she wanted to leave the EU.

I will give the matter some thought and try to design a form that anybody can use to give their opinions. I could send a copy via e mail or post it in a new thread here... providing we are allowed to...... I can check that with Azz or the supervisors on here, if people are interested.
Yes, please do. If not permissible to post on here, please message me (and others) using the PM facility.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

17-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, please do. If not permissible to post on here, please message me (and others) using the PM facility.
I have started a list of people interested and will give the template some thought, then let you know.

I am sure we wont all agree but, if we do individual ones, the government will get ideas on what we want.
I want to make sure we don't just get a standard letter in reply!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-08-2017, 02:24 PM

I have started a list of people interested and will give the template some thought, then let you know.

I am sure we wont all agree but, if we do individual ones, the government will get ideas on what we want.
I want to make sure we don't just get a standard letter in reply!
I've had many a standard letter from my MP. She's OK, actually, and I can understand that she can't possibly sit writing personal replies to individual letters.

However, the important thing is that our MPs should be aware of how their constituents feel. Replies are of secondary importance.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top