Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Returning 'Home'

They were interviewing an old chap on the radio yesterday as he returned to his old house where he grew up. I believe he was in his 80's.

He said it was a funny feeling, because he felt he 'knew' it, yet didn't, because of all the changes, although some aspects were still the same.

It took him right back to his childhood and the things he and his brother used to get up to, the beautiful grounds where they used to play, his parents, his friends, and his school days.

It was so lovely listening to this old guy.
It may be fanciful of me, but it seemed to bring him 'alive' again.
Gone was the serious man who began the interview. He began chuckling about his childhood, especially when relating him and his brother trying to make a telephone out of two tin cans and a length of string. He laughed aloud when he remembered the lady next door complaining and saying the boys were "interfering with her radio reception."

It made me wonder how many of us have ever been back to our old house.
If not, would you like to go?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Re: Returning 'Home'

Yes I've been back.

Made me feel sad really - don't think I'll go again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:40 AM

I don't live far from mine so I've watched it changing, that means it's not a big thing to see it now. If I hadn't I think I'd be very shocked at the changes. I'm not sure it would make me happy at all.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:41 AM

Yes, I've been back. To start with because we knew the people who lived there. House of multiple occupancy. The owner had been one of our sub-tenants. He divided the house up into three flats, one for himself and one for each of his sons. Last time I went back I saw one of the sons but he didn't recognise me, he was annoyed with me taking photos of the house from across the road.

Made me sad too, probably no point in going again.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:43 AM

No I never want to see it again.

My children went back to the house they were raised in last year.
They loved that house and were pleased they had gone.
They told me they had a great childhood and I'm glad about that.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:45 AM

They wouldn't interview us on the radio if we were just going to pine and mope.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:46 AM

I have revisited my childhood home a few times, on the occasions I have been back to my home island. The property had been in the family for many centuries. It is believed the house was actually built on the foundations of a home owned by a famous historical figure, who is reputed to be an ancestor on my father's side of the family. The property was sold in 1984 as neither my siblings or myself wished to take it on when our parents wished to move to a more manageable abode.

The last time I visited was in 2013, when I was cheeky enough to walk down the long drive and take some photos, without permission of the owners. I doubt it would have been granted as they didn't get on with my late father!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No I never want to see it again.

My children went back to the house they were raised in last year.
They loved that house and were pleased they had gone.
They told me they had a great childhood and I'm glad about that.

I suppose it depends on whether they were happy or sad memories you were reliving.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:48 AM

They knocked the house down and put a road in, so no point in going back.

Mind you I have not been back to Hull since I left 23 years ago although I do still see friends but we usually meet up in York or Scarborough.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 12:00 PM

Not a good idea to return to old haunts, treasured memories can be dashed instantly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top