Join for free
Page 117 of 190 « First < 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Giving gumbud a few days to recover from his robust imagination 😳, I see that OGF is offering a few images that will prevent us OFFers from sudden reactions that might have us cardiologist bound...

OGF, your diagram was excellent work, though you might have a self-image problem .

The interesting thing about your theory is that you are right - there is some minor distortion from the particles in the atmosphere due to the increased angle of viewing - but it actually makes the sun appear smaller. In fact, if you look at your drawing, the curve of the atmosphere creates a lens shape, but it's backwards. It ever so slightly reduces the size of the sun's appearance. It's all that Ponzo illusion ....
Suehebbs
Athens Greece
Suehebbs is female 

06-11-2017, 05:56 PM

A lovely description of your run and how you feel about the countryside around you, I enjoyed reading it very much.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Thanks Surfermom, I've got another theory to try and put the illusion into perspective.....Watch this space..........or should I say......Watch Space.....

Thanks Sue Hebbs and welcome to Bob's Bits.... Sometimes the basic things in life produce the greatest pleasure......
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 10:00 PM

Great pictures of Nidd Hall
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Great pictures of Nidd Hall
Cheers Myrtle......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-11-2017, 01:58 PM

NUMBERS

Numbers rule our lives, they can tell you more than words ever can. Sometimes they are friendly (Lucky Numbers, Birthdays and Holidays) and sometimes they are to be avoided (Superstition, 9/11 and 1939) but whatever you think of 'Numbers' we can't live without them especially in sport or workouts. A certain number of 'Reps, Laps, Miles or time. The 4 minute mile, the sub 2 hour marathon, running means nothing if a time or distance is not stipulated, they are landmarks in the quest for success.

This morning I arrived a such a landmark, I have just completed my 1000th mile, the distance I have run this year, it now stands at 1009.2 miles with still a few weeks to go until the end of the year. However, numbers are a man made phenomenon, and whereas the numbers meant everything in my competitive years of running, now they don't mean much at all. I will never run further, and I will certainly never run faster than those early years, and guess what? I don't really care, I run for the now, I run for the escapism, and I run to enjoy the sights and sounds of the open countryside......Yes, one thousand miles is a landmark when in a few years time I look back at 2017 and say "I ran a thousand miles in that year" but the real meaning is that I ran all year without injury, so I must be doing something right.....

As you can see, there were plenty of people waiting to celebrate my achievement...

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 03:57 AM

It's funny, Bob, my miles for this year will be somewhat less than last, but it somehow feels like a greater accomplishment given all of the hurdles and detours life has thrown in the way.

Whew, yes, being able to manage that total without injury is a relief, but your lack of injury is likely because your run so consistently. I am with you that the numbers are relative - so be it! Just to be out there is a personal win, and while the paces and distances may be declining, the satisfaction and enjoyment is somehow...increasing.

There's all that, and then of course....

quads !

Well done, my friend!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 08:56 AM

Glad you enjoyed Nidd Hall Bob, the grounds are lovely aren't they, the inside is in need of some TLC though but it's a gorgeous building, So pleased you liked it

Well done on your 1000 miles....what an achievement!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Glad you enjoyed Nidd Hall Bob, the grounds are lovely aren't they, the inside is in need of some TLC though but it's a gorgeous building, So pleased you liked it

Well done on your 1000 miles....what an achievement!
Thanks Summer, yes it was a good few days at Nidd and since you mention it, as we were checking in, there were several painters working throughout the building. Once everybody had arrived the painters disappeared, but they returned as we were checking out after our three night stay. The work they had completed was excellent and really brought the decor up to scratch.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Surfermom! Sorry to hear about your daughters fight with an illness on another thread, but I'm glad for both of you that she has made a good recovery. Send her some hugs..... from this Yorkshire bloke at the other side of the Atlantic....And if there are any spare you can have them for being a caring Mom....

Page 117 of 190 « First < 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top