Join for free
Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Re: Boris Johnson resigns.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Brexit is like a boiled egg, can be either hard or soft and sometimes you do not get what you ordered.
A bit like the Curate’s egg too.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
That was not what was described on the Ballot Paper, it was a simple remain or leave question.
In attempting to disagree with me, which is something you tend to do quite a lot, you will see that I have said exactly the same thing.

The attached copy of the ballot paper confirms what I said, that 17.4 million people put their cross in the lower of the two boxes.

Fewer chose the upper box.

It seems that many people are under the impression that there must have been a third box:
"To leave the European Union in name only, remaining tied to the organisation with regard to the ECJ and other such limiting factors" or words to that effect.

Perhaps they couldn't find enough space on the ballot paper for such an option.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ballot paper.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	6462  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I was referring to the government, who seem pretty evenly split. I think we have to recognise though that we will all need to accept some compromise at some point.
No. What the government might think is irrelevant.

The referendum put the ball in our court, the people of this country.

The majority voted to leave.

If the government doesn't like it, tough. They are there to serve us, not the other way around.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 03:41 PM

The voting slip had two choices. One choice was "remain" the other choice was "utter chaos". More people voted for utter chaos. That's democracy for you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In attempting to disagree with me, which is something you tend to do quite a lot, you will see that I have said exactly the same thing.

The attached copy of the ballot paper confirms what I said, that 17.4 million people put their cross in the lower of the two boxes.

Fewer chose the upper box.

It seems that many people are under the impression that there must have been a third box:
"To leave the European Union in name only, remaining tied to the organisation with regard to the ECJ and other such limiting factors" or words to that effect.

Perhaps they couldn't find enough space on the ballot paper for such an option.
Hi

I repeat, it was leave or stay.

I repeat, there are different ways of leaving.

Some, like my MP, would be happy to leave without any Free Trade Agreement, others want to leave with a simple Free Trade Agreement in place, others want more than this.

People interpret things in different ways.

My personal preferred option is none of the above, it is the Swiss Model, complete, I would add, with referendums on all important issues, that way the Swiss keep their politicians under control.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The voting slip had two choices. One choice was "remain" the other choice was "utter chaos". More people voted for utter chaos. That's democracy for you.
You should have gone to Specsavers.

Try looking at that reproduction of the ballot paper again, and use a magnifying glass this time.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

The chances of us mere mortals having an opportunity to fully understand or comprehend this coming white paper with everything incorporated and set out are pretty slim.At the moment I am at a loss to fully understand.
I heard what Mrs May explained in Parliament yesterday, i.e. meeting all the points that she put in her Lancaster House speech, to meet the nations reasons and requirements for voting to leave the EU.

The thing that has confused me is Boris's comment about this 'common rule book' being put forward and UK becoming a 'Colony of Europe' as he called it.

Can someone explain why he might have said that, and the points his comment relates to.
It's getting more confusing by the day. Not only that, the deputy of that nasty piece of work Guy Verhofstadt was interviewed yesterday, and she said the chances of our recommendations being accepted are pretty slim as they stand.

One main factor which does bother me is when we think back to Cameron meeting Merkel with the idea of policy changes, and without them a promised referendum. Merkel did not agree to any changes and so the referendum was called.
Earlier in last week Junker said he had complete confidence in Mrs May getting her cabinet to support her and go with her. (that rang a few bells)Thursday Mrs May met Merkel and a few other leaders of the Brussels outfit. Friday she comes up with this 'common rule book'
I hope to goodness it has not been something the EU have set out for her for their own wishes and benefits with hidden unclear clauses and agendas to catch us out at a later date.

After that little ramble, maybe you have forgotten my question. 'Why would UK be considered as a Colony of the EU' ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Let's be clear.

LEAVE means leaving control of the EU and ECJ, period.

You can have whatever trade deals you want or can negotiate but what you can not do is undertake any deal, trade or otherwise that leaves the UK under the control or semi control of the EU and/or ECJ.

It's really not difficult.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Let's be clear.

LEAVE means leaving control of the EU and ECJ, period.

You can have whatever trade deals you want or can negotiate but what you can not do is undertake any deal, trade or otherwise that leaves the UK under the control or semi control of the EU and/or ECJ.

It's really not difficult.
Yes it is.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No. What the government might think is irrelevant.

The referendum put the ball in our court, the people of this country.

The majority voted to leave.

If the government doesn't like it, tough. They are there to serve us, not the other way around.
Yes they need to carry out the majority mandate but they still have a duty to consider everyone, not just us leavers. I agree we voted to leave but how we leave is, and always was, going to be a balancing act that has to take into account not just our wishes but the needs of the country as a whole. Because the remainers lost doesn't take away their rights as citizens, who still have every right to have their say on the process even if we think they are wrong. Such is democracy.

Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top