Join for free
Page 7 of 19 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Re: Casual racism

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
You're on ignore so I don't read what you write.
Originally Posted by tarantula ->
You haven't missed anything worth reading.
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Who's he talking to/about?

Thanks, I rather thought not.
Now you're both coming across as equally unpleasant, why do you have to be this way?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 03:51 PM

Recently I was called a Jock by someone on these forums and found myself taking offence. To me it's like Rafael Nadal being called a Dago.

Does racism still exist in our country? Isn't it becoming rarer?
I can't imagine why you should be offended. 'Jock' is not a derogatory term; it has been used casually and in a friendly manner for many generations, and this is the first time I've heard anyone complaining about it.

I suppose it just comes down to some people being more easily offended than others.

I, for example, would welcome anyone calling me the most offensive names I can imagine and I wouldn't turn a hair, although I suppose it would depend on who was doing the name-calling.

Go on, try it!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 04:02 PM

I absolutely hate any kind of prejudice.
If it offends the person then don't use it.
I usually get to know the member first. Sometimes they refer to themselves as Scousers or whatever, it would then be OK I guess.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Jock is not considered an offensive word....

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jock
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Jock is not considered an offensive word....

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jock
Neither is Mick,yet shrop's Dad found it very offensive to be called by that Name...so,You'd have to be on the receiving end to know/feel if the term is meant in a derogatory fashion.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Neither is Mick,yet shrop's Dad found it very offensive to be called by that Name...so,You'd have to be on the receiving end to know/feel if the term is meant in a derogatory fashion.
May, my dad was a very easy going man, so I can only assume that the name was called by that person in a rude and insulting way of addressing him, for him to be so offended. He would never have been offended by the term Paddy. it was a given name by his workmates and friends.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 04:47 PM

I think Mick was used as a derogatory name for Catholics, so with the problems in Ireland it is understandable that some may be offended.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I absolutely hate any kind of prejudice.
If it offends the person then don't use it.
I usually get to know the member first. Sometimes they refer to themselves as Scousers or whatever, it would then be OK I guess.
To be fair it wasn't a personal insult on this occasion, the Scottish people as a whole were referred to as Jocks in a thread about the World Cup:
Obviously the Jocks, Welsh and Irish are positively depressed about the whole thing. And we should be sympathetic towards them.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Well remember a miserable sod I worked with in Nottingham years ago...
"Don't call me Jock!" he growled at me once....
"I didn't call you Jock, I called you Duck"...I said..
"Don't call me that either!" he said.

I said "You live in Nottingham now and don't want to be called 'Duck' You'd better sod off back to Glasgow.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 05:46 PM

It's all about context. I haven't seen where you've been called a Jock, there are many places and many threads I don't look at on this forum (I need my sanity intact) but it could have been a lot worse if it was just the word Jock that was used.

I'm sure you've used worse yourself.

Page 7 of 19 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top