Join for free
Page 9 of 19 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:24 AM

Re: Casual racism

Originally Posted by summer ->
Well I'm proud to be from Yorkshire so being reminded with names like Yorky or Yorkshire Tyke doesn't bother me at all...I just feel a bit sorry for the rest of you this being God's own country and all that
I have been to Yorkshire once or twice, not somewhere I would wish to live, but each to their own.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's the same as us English being called Poms by the Aussies. Doesn't bother me personally but I suppose if there are to be rules then they should apply to everyone not just those of a different skin colour or religion.
That has already been to the Australian Human Rights Commission and it didn't even get a hearing

In the Commission's guide it states:

More than mere slights are required. Trivial impacts are not unlawful, but fall within a 'margin of tolerance'.

Example:

Newspaper letters and articles which referred to English people as "Poms" or "Pommies" did not meet the threshold for racial hatred. HREOC President Sir Ronald Wilson said: "I can imagine, albeit with some difficulty, that the words complained of in this case could be unlawful in the context of an article which was plainly malicious or scurrilous, designed to foster hatred or antipathy in the reader." The words on their own, however, were not sufficiently offensive to the reasonable person (Bryant v Queensland Newspapers, 15 May 1997).
So, sorry, NO, calling someone a Pommie is not racial hatred. However calling them a "Filthy Pom" is and can be prosecuted.

You can read the origins of the word here:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ms_a_23284903/

Australian Human Rights Commission's Guide:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-w...ial-hatred-act
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:36 AM

There is an old story from the First World War where Aussie troops under a British command were called before an enquiry after a complaint that one of them had called the cook a "bastard".

After being asked about the incident the Sergeant stepped forward and said, "What we want to know is who called the bastard a Cook"

Calling someone a 'bastard' will not get you brought before the Australian Human Rights Commission either.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Not that I am aware of, but I do recall Protestants calling Catholics Micks, when I was a child, so I assumed the term came from Ireland as most of the Catholics in my area originated from Ireland.
Could it be that Michael isor was a popular Irish name ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That has already been to the Australian Human Rights Commission and it didn't even get a hearing

In the Commission's guide it states:

So, sorry, NO, calling someone a Pommie is not racial hatred. However calling them a "Filthy Pom" is and can be prosecuted.

You can read the origins of the word here:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ms_a_23284903/

Australian Human Rights Commission's Guide:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-w...ial-hatred-act
Thanks, Bruce, I often wondered how the word 'Pom' came about.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:50 AM

This is pretty interesting, from the Urban Dictionary....

Mick
Derogatory word for Irish people.
The origin of the word is disputed. Some beliefs are that "mick" comes from the common "Mc" in many Irish names. McSorley, McNeil, McFlannagan, ect.

Others believe its related to the sound of a drunken hiccup. I was the captain *mick* of a ship *mick* for 3 years!!

Also, Mick is the word that "spick" came from.
Irish and Hispanics are both dominantly catholic. In the 1900's when Irish immigrants had pretty much been well established, but still hated by many Americans, was also the time when many Hispanic immigrants made their entry into America. They ended up sharing our churches, schools and neighborhoods due to the catholic faith and moral values we had in common. When early retard americans saw this, they bagan calling hispanics "spicks" (Like a spanish Mick).

Mick is also used between Irish friends and relatives in a playful and joking way.
Like "Joey, you stupid mick"
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Could it be that Michael isor was a popular Irish name ?
Probably. Same with Padraig = Paddy.

As I said earlier, Paddy = affectionate, Mick = derogatory - don't ask me why - I do not know.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There is an old story from the First World War where Aussie troops under a British command were called before an enquiry after a complaint that one of them had called the cook a "bastard".

After being asked about the incident the Sergeant stepped forward and said, "What we want to know is who called the bastard a Cook"

Calling someone a 'bastard' will not get you brought before the Australian Human Rights Commission either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Well I'm proud to be from Yorkshire so being reminded with names like Yorky or Yorkshire Tyke doesn't bother me at all...I just feel a bit sorry for the rest of you this being God's own country and all that
I completely agree.

We must be aware of the inadequacies of non-Yorkshire people and make allowances for them.

It's the polite thing to do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have been to Yorkshire once or twice, not somewhere I would wish to live.
I'm sure the people of Yorkshire would agree with you.

Page 9 of 19 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top