Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Re: How To Cook The Perfect Poached Egg.

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No, no, no, darlin', that is not a 'poached' egg, what you are describing is a coddled egg - there is a difference!!!
I humbly stand corrected by your experienced knowledge UJ. you are quite correct. Coddled eggs they indeed are.:
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
.... and I say off topic
Sincere apologies Mags, I was just replying to another post on here re pheasants. Consider my hand slapped.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 08:12 PM

IMO, eggs "poached" in a "poaching" pan are, technically "coddled", since the eggs are placed in a butter/oil lined container on top of, but not immersed in, hot water in a pan with a lid on, thus being partially steamed - poached eggs are cooked directly in the water.

These are "proper" coddlers, with individual lids:

I would say that both poaching pans and coddlers are examples pf "bain-marie" cooking.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 09:08 PM

Hi

This is how Heston does them.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/...ast-video.html
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:09 AM

I don't get it - what is a perfectly pouched egg - has someone defined HOW it must be or can we just get on with life and pouch them as we wish - I love pouched eggs but do not deem them superior enough to pouch them that way - I suppose a perfectly rounded pouched egg rather the same shape as it was before it left the shell is what you are after - how droll - life should be more exciting than that!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

This is how Heston does them.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/...ast-video.html
Have you tried it, Swimmy? I just do mine in an egg poacher - designed for the job - and they are perfect each time.

I did buy one of those little silicone poaching pod thingys that 'Lakeland' make - but - I have a cat with a silicone fetish who was very grateful for his new toy - haven't seen it since!!

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/12116/Poa...180715053145:s
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 07:09 AM

The worst ever poached egg I ever had was where the ‘chef’ just put water in the frying pan instead of oil and cracked an egg in it. So water fried egg
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm going to give that a try!

I usually get the water gently boiling, then stir the water vigorously to create a whirlpool and drop the egg into the centre/vortex.
That way you don't get all the scrappy bits on the edge.
Same here
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 07:17 AM

This is similar to my 'poacher'. However I add some butter into the individual little pots to prevent the eggs from 'sticking. As the water boils, the butter melts and at that point the eggs are added. The lid clapped on and four minutes later - voila!!! perfectly poached eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f3JIk6uutI
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh strewth, what a lot of faffing about!!! I have a 'poacher' saucepan with four plastic containers. Lift the lid containing the four pots, half-fill with water, and replace. In selected pots, place smalll quantity of butter. Bring to boil, by which time butter has melted. Crack appropriate number (usually two) eggs into pots and place lid on saucepan. Wait approximately five minutes, remove from heat, remove lid and lift pots from boilling water. run knife around edge of pot to release egg and tip onto toast - voila!!! poached egg.
Joe me old pal, me old beauty...

The purists will tell you that is not a poached egg that is a steamed egg. (that's how I do it too)

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top