Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Re: Priorities

My main regret is that I’ve never been in a train driven by my son. His sister has, several times. She’s even been up in the cab with him! Don’t tell the fat controller though.
I’m a long way from London now so don’t suppose I’ll ever get the opportunity anymore.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:31 AM

I have been driving men wild for years

I have also been a driver of cars for years.
My priority was to make sure I passed my test before my twins were born.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
My nephew and my son in law were both raised on farms and like you they were driving around at a very young age..it's normal for kids with access to vehicles and private land to be adventurous...doesn't mean they could drive though and they still had to take their test which actually one failed first time...much to his disgust
I was really fed up because I failed my test the first time I took it a few days after my 17th birthday, even though I was a good driver. I took it on my father's large car, the tester was obviously very nervous of being driven by a kid in it. He told me to come back in 6 months and he would pass me which he did, I didn't have to do anything then. My sisters took their tests in my aunt's mini to save them that dilemma.

I have been driving on the road for 51 years, I have not had an accident, parking or speeding fine, admittedly the latter was more luck than judgement when I was younger.

I have told my children I will give up driving as soon as they judge me not to be safe on the road anymore. I have no wish to be like my mother who was still driving when unsafe to do so in her late 80s.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have been driving men wild for years
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:24 AM

I did learn to drive but around a decade ago it became impossible with panic attacks and would still be impossible today.

I save a lot of money, though, by not having a car. In a pinch, I can get my sister to drive me somewhere. Lately, though, with all the hospital appointments I haven't asked her. I would willingly pay for petrol but she lives at the opposite side of the city and it would eat up chunks of her time. Plus she is often babysitting her grandchildren. She has visited me in hospital, though, something I'll always be greatfull for.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
It seems weird now that my son was a qualified London Underground train driver, driving thousands of people around London all day. Before he had actually passed his car driving test, or even started taking driving lessons!
You don't need to learn to drive if you work for TFL as you and your partner are entitled to free travel on the Tube and London buses.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Well, Fridge magnet, I suppose it's a good thing there is a track!

I behind the the yoke of an airplane long before I took my first driver's license test...which I failed.

It was devastating at the time, but I was living in California where they routinely failed young drivers to teach them a little humility.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 03:06 PM

We have lads at work who have been driving forklifts and all manner of highly technical vehicles and they don't drive a car.
It was the same in the RAF - most of the servicemen I worked with were qualified and trained to operate some of the biggest loading vehicles without ever owning a driving licence.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Surfermom;1463739]Well, Fridge magnet, I suppose it's a good thing there is a track!

I behind the the yoke of an airplane long before I took my first driver's license test...which I failed.

It was devastating at the time, but I was living in California where they routinely failed young drivers to teach them a little humility.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Surfermom, that's probably why I failed my driving test on the first try...
Not because I was crap or owt' like that.....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
It seems weird now that my son was a qualified London Underground train driver, driving thousands of people around London all day. Before he had actually passed his car driving test, or even started taking driving lessons!
FM, I am sure l am boring everyone with my weekend in London but whilst sitting in the roasting hot tube train, l asked my daughter if tube trains had drivers as l hadn’t seen one and if they did what a monotonous job.

She said, yes they did have drivers who earned a lot of money. She said, they get a huge amount of money, if someone throws themselves in front of the train.
Sorry, to be macabre!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top