Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 09:31 PM

Re: Trump and Scotland: seduced and betrayed

You mean free publicity for Trump's own golf course?
Since when does the public pay for the marketing of a business. Which School of Economics did you go to?

Oh you are so naive.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 04:57 PM

There was programme made about Trump's golf course near Aberdeen, my home town, a few years ago. I remember it well, It was shocking the way Trump rode roughshod over the local people. Alex Salmond came out with little credit, after sucking up to Trump, and believing all the guff about jobs etc. They had a wonderful fall out after the wind farm episode. The bit that really irked me was, the local police arrested the makers of the programme for trespassing. Even they seemed to be in thrall with the Trump mob. I've got a little clip to give a flavour of this shameful scene.

https://youtu.be/ADecI4xw-yg
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You mean free publicity for Trump's own golf course?
Since when does the public pay for the marketing of a business. Which School of Economics did you go to?

Oh you are so naive.
If I had posted that I would be accused of a personal attack......I know, ridiculous but that's how some are on here! ( Or was it??)

Anyway,.....to respond......Yes I agree that the public shouldn't pay for Trump's publicity. That would be utterly stupid and ridiculous and a complete misuse of public funds and to suggest I was suggesting that............I'll say no more.....
but......As he is US President and, by default, guaranteed to visit the UK in the role ( that's a given and was always going to happen) then the by product of marketing Scotland to a worldwide audience and pumping £5million in to the Scottish economy is a bonus....a welcome bonus......in fact the Scottish Government should have done a helluva lot more to exploit this opportunity.

Based on the teachings of the 'Common Sense school of Real Life Economics untarnished by Petty Political Posturing'
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 10:11 PM

Except he wasn't marketing Scotland was he? So there was no benefit whatsoever for the Scottish people.
From what I can gather it was a private visit for a round of golf, not any part of the official visit.
It's a fair point though.... that the Scottish Government could have-should have exploited this opportunity.

Speaking of exploitation ...
America’s State Department paid £52,477 for Donald Trump’s two-night stay at his Turnberry golf resort .. whose company directors include Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr, which in itself is a subsidiary of a parent company owned by .. you've guessed, Donald Trump , the Big Man himself.

Based on the self-help teachings of 'How To Merge A Presidency & Private Business into One Fiscally Profitable Enterprise, Augmented by Free Media Marketing Coverage & Foreign Taxpayer Aid.
Copies available from: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW; Washington, DC 20500 USA.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 07:25 AM

HE wasn't marketing Scotland, and I've never suggested that HE was even trying to......
My point is that the visit was happening therefore the opportunity was there.

Trump was a very rich and very successful businessman ( Even it that sticks in our craw) long before becoming President.
He owned Turnberry before becoming President.
He invested £ 10's of millions in Scotland ( not something too many are queing up to do) long before he became President.

Turnberry was the obvious place for him to stay and, of course, it's a business and there are wages and overheads to pay so we can't reasonably get upset if the State Department covers those costs......and why would he not want to play a round of golf at one of the best golf courses in Scotland that he himself owns !

It all seems entirely right and reasonable and the notion that the President of The United States of America has 'free time' whilst on a foreign visit and his entourage should stand down and take a day off is a wee bit silly, don't you think?
Everything The President does is carefully protected and monitored, as you would expect......even his 'personal' time.

From the 'Book of Common Sense and how not to be Swayed by the Mass Hysteria of Fake News sources and liberal Media outlets'

Available in all good book shops but NOT online!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by John ->
There was programme made about Trump's golf course near Aberdeen, my home town, a few years ago. I remember it well, It was shocking the way Trump rode roughshod over the local people. Alex Salmond came out with little credit, after sucking up to Trump, and believing all the guff about jobs etc. They had a wonderful fall out after the wind farm episode. The bit that really irked me was, the local police arrested the makers of the programme for trespassing. Even they seemed to be in thrall with the Trump mob. I've got a little clip to give a flavour of this shameful scene.

https://youtu.be/ADecI4xw-yg
Ah!! At last simeone who understands where I'm coming from with this "old news" !

I've mentioned that programme several times on here before now, it was long before he became President.
In that programme he really showed his true colours to anyone who could see clearly.
His attitude to the local people there was hideous.

The clip in the opening post is an update of how they resisted his attempts to literally bulldoze through their lives, and how things are now.
It's about the promises he made and where things stand now.
About the jobs he offered and the investments etc.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

19-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
HE wasn't marketing Scotland, and I've never suggested that HE was even trying to......
My point is that the visit was happening therefore the opportunity was there.

Trump was a very rich and very successful businessman ( Even it that sticks in our craw) long before becoming President.
He owned Turnberry before becoming President.
He invested £ 10's of millions in Scotland ( not something too many are queing up to do) long before he became President.

Turnberry was the obvious place for him to stay and, of course, it's a business and there are wages and overheads to pay so we can't reasonably get upset if the State Department covers those costs......and why would he not want to play a round of golf at one of the best golf courses in Scotland that he himself owns !

It all seems entirely right and reasonable and the notion that the President of The United States of America has 'free time' whilst on a foreign visit and his entourage should stand down and take a day off is a wee bit silly, don't you think?
Everything The President does is carefully protected and monitored, as you would expect......even his 'personal' time.

From the 'Book of Common Sense and how not to be Swayed by the Mass Hysteria of Fake News sources and liberal Media outlets'

Available in all good book shops but NOT online!
But you can't have it both ways.
If he was visiting as a businessman, and he is undoubtedly a successful businessman, the British taxpayer should not have had to foot his security bill.
If he was visiting as a President, but with no official itinerary to slavishly follow and it was own bit of relaxation .... once again, not the British taxpayers obligation to pay. Let the Americans fund him for that.
Shame he didn't invite Ms Sturgeon to be his caddie.
She wasn't there was she dragging his golf bag?
That could have given it some official pazzazz.

Suggestive snapped photos of Sturgeon and Trump wrestling over his putting club Not available, blocked by High Court writ.
(I like your humour)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
"They live like pigs!"..."who cares!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources...p_and_Scotland
Good heavens!

I've just spent over five minutes looking through a very well created web site put together by whingeing Trump haters.

I didn't quite finish it, I'm afraid. I became bored, despite the slick presentation.

I'm not taking sides; I can see both sides of the argument, but I wonder what its authors hope to have achieved.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top