Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 07:46 PM

Tomatoes

Alan, with you being Tomato Grower of the year, (), can I ask why you think the trusses on my cherry toms don't start till they are about over half way up the plant? Any idea?
They are fed and watered properly, so could it be just the variety or something else?

Anyone else got any ideas?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 08:13 PM

Re: Tomatoes

I'm no expert but I think it's quite natural - it's the same with my 'shirley' tomatoes.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 08:15 PM

Oh, that's interesting, I thought it was just mine. Thanks Alan.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2015, 10:07 PM

Not just yours, Mups. Same with mine!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2015, 07:39 PM

It`s perfectly normal,plants need to be fully established before they produce fruit. And remember if anyone is growing varieties noted for their large fruit then each truss will need support-the weight of fruit will tear the truss off otherwise.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
It`s perfectly normal,plants need to be fully established before they produce fruit. And remember if anyone is growing varieties noted for their large fruit then each truss will need support-the weight of fruit will tear the truss off otherwise.

I know OG, but that's not what I was on about. I was just asking why the lowest truss formed so high up the plants, as I seem to vaguely remember years ago when I grew them, the trusses always started much lower down. That's what made me wonder if varieties varied in this aspect.

I'm only growing cherries this year - Sweet Million and Supersweet 100, both a very tasty cherry.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know OG, but that's not what I was on about. I was just asking why the lowest truss formed so high up the plants, as I seem to vaguely remember years ago when I grew them, the trusses always started much lower down. That's what made me wonder if varieties varied in this aspect.

I'm only growing cherries this year - Sweet Million and Supersweet 100, both a very tasty cherry.
Maybe Beddies like Tomatoes, but cant reach the higher trusses.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 07:49 AM

Mups

Sweet million is a very nice one, it`s classified as an F1 hybrid but it does come true from saved seed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Maybe Beddies like Tomatoes, but cant reach the higher trusses.

The little horror does actually, Nom. I suppose I shall have to find a way to keep her snout off them later on, too
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2015, 08:56 AM

I'm growing some for the first time as I've now got a little greenhouse and I can actually eat them, hopefully, now. Can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to pinch out something, please? I have a vague recollection of having to remove something from the stems, but, no idea what!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top