Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Two or three courses

These days I find I can only really enjoy a main course. If I have a starter, then I don't enjoy a main course as much and can never finish it. Gone are the days of a three course meal for me. I'd never have thought. I love my food too. Is it an age thing?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Re: Two or three courses

We sometimes share a starter if we are out for a meal, with perhaps a "lite bite" main course, so as to leave enough room for a huge piece of chocolate fudge cake and ice cream for dessert, yum yum yum.....
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:02 PM

I think it must be Myra.

I never have a starter these days, if I did I wouldn't have room for the main meal. Mind you, something nice for the sweet could tempt me

Years ago it was prawn cocktail or soup, neither of which filled you up, but these days the starter seems more like a mail meal.
re. the age thing? I think you could be right
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:03 PM

Could be-I often think I should skip the starter to leave room for the pud-the one thing I have always refused to do is order three courses. Starter yes,main yes but no way do I order/or not the pud in advance.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Marion, I agree that nowadays some starters are like a main course in themselves. Just too much.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

28-06-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We sometimes share a starter if we are out for a meal, with perhaps a "lite bite" main course, so as to leave enough room for a huge piece of chocolate fudge cake and ice cream for dessert, yum yum yum.....
Sounds like you like your desserts PM

Good idea sharing a starter though.
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

28-06-2015, 03:10 PM

Hell; I can recall years ago eating a seven course Hogmanay meal, no worries. However; I'm with you now on the three course deal. I'm inclined to stick with two, a toss up betwixt the starter or dessert to go in tandem with the main
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:26 PM

More often than not I leave some of my main course never mind having a starter. Just occasionally we'll share a sweet.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Portion size has increased over the last 20 years.

This means for those of us used to the old portion size we get full too quickly..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

28-06-2015, 03:55 PM

We only have to look at hospital portion sizes to realise we tend to heap far too much on the plate. They definitely can afford to have a two courser.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top