Join for free
Page 129 of 370 « First < 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 229 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Thank you for the welcome gentleman.
The jogging is ‘new’ to me. I only just started a couple of weeks ago so I have a lot to learn. My brother says it takes about a year to get used to jogging.
I’ll probably be asking lots of questions but am very excited to find so many active people . It’s very inspiring !!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm on leave from work at the moment so when I opened my eyes I lay in bed playing on my phone exercising my brain playing a word game, I play a lot of word games as I like to keep my brain sharp but it keeps forgetting things lately!!! Anyhow my best friend and I went for a swim this evening but we only managed 30 minutes instead of our usual 1hr because she began to start feeling unwell. My dear friend has poor health due to numerous illnesses but she keeps going, she swims 3 to 4 times a week and walks a lot. I really admire how she keeps going. She has for the past year been suffering with severe anxiety and I think that is what happened tonight at the swimming pool, finally she has agreed to see a doctor after much nagging from me. She told me she doesn't know if she can deal with being told she has yet another illness and is scared. I think because she is so anxious about her health it is causing panic attacks, I hope to god thats what it is, time will tell. I'll be keeping her in my prayers. She suffers enough.
You sound like a good friend Lion Queen, and with your help I'm sure your friend will find the reassurance to continue with her swimming. Keeping fit doing a sport you love is, in my opinion, the best medicine.....It's seen me through two Heart Attacks....Doctors said I might not have survived had I not spent a life of running.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Good post Moscow, it's about the same with running. Endurance running over long distances will greatly improve stamina but once an optimum pace is reached speed will not increase further without some kind of strength work. Intervals, Fartlek or resistance work is necessary to improve speed, and will need to be done regularly in order to maintain a fast pace.

My best performances are behind me now and I'm happy to still be out there treading the tracks and paths - the wilder the better - regardless of speed. At sixty seven I'm walking a tightrope between fitness and injury, trying to inject speed work these days only ends in tears. So like you Moscow, I will run for enjoyment and satisfaction and hope that I can persevere for a few more years yet....
Exactly!.......And that's a very good point you make.....When you increase your strength it will be lost quickly if not maintained whereas stamina decreases less quickly. Strength( resistance) training must be maintained and increased to improve times ....at least that's how I understand it!

However Strength training for swimming should only be done a max of 3 x per week whereas swimming for aerobic benefit can be done daily....even twice daily!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 12:13 AM

Moscow, that was exactly the kind of information that I was hoping someone with more involvement would give Rhian.

It's most interesting to me that as we get older, it becomes ever more important to incorporate strength training into our fitness progams. I've most definitely noticed in the last few years how quickly muscle gains are lost, and while I sometimes blame an aging heart to a decrease in my running and surfing performance, it's probably strength training that I need. Where do I sign up for more hours in the day?

Bratti, welcome! Having just popped over to read your profile, you and I are living somewhat parallel lives with aging parents, beloved dogs, and a determination to stay fit. I think you will find good company here on the forum. Well done on getting into running and jogging; slow and steady wins the race! No pressure here, at this point in our lives, as Old Grey Fox said, we are more about satisfaction than optimal performance theses days.

Lion Queen, you sound like a good and supportive friend. One of the advantages of having a workout friend, is that you encourage each other and keep each other accountable. When working out, swimming, running, etc. is causing you anxiety rather than relieving it, something is amiss, so I hope your friend finds som answers and her health improves. You admire her...but I admire you for being there for her. It sounds like you have a phenomenal relationship.

OGF, your GPS results made me laugh. One of my favorite records are the maps that show me running ovals in the middle of the Caribbean. Isn't the technology remarkable!

Ok, my muscles are degenerating, I am off to do some promised yoga.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 12:26 AM

Dunno about you Surfermom, but I can't keep up with this thread at the moment. I'm thinking Bob has asked for reinforcements while he's away on his boat
All great stuff though.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Dunno about you Surfermom, but I can't keep up with this thread at the moment. I'm thinking Bob has asked for reinforcements while he's away on his boat
All great stuff though.
I know! I'm thrilled we've got so many on board (pun intended). It's blown up just since lunchtime here, and I'm thrilled. The more the merrier.

Bob will have volumes to catch up on when he gets back...and work to do. Working on his tan, ogling women in bikinis, and sipping on pina coladas does not count as exercise in my book .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I know! I'm thrilled we've got so many on board (pun intended). It's blown up just since lunchtime here, and I'm thrilled. The more the merrier.

Bob will have volumes to catch up on when he gets back...and work to do. Working on his tan, ogling women in bikinis, and sipping on pina coladas does not count as exercise in my book .
...And Mrs. Fox making sure he keeps the cabin neat and tidy
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Moscow, that was exactly the kind of information that I was hoping someone with more involvement would give Rhian.

It's most interesting to me that as we get older, it becomes ever more important to incorporate strength training into our fitness progams. I've most definitely noticed in the last few years how quickly muscle gains are lost, and while I sometimes blame an aging heart to a decrease in my running and surfing performance, it's probably strength training that I need. Where do I sign up for more hours in the day?

Bratti, welcome! Having just popped over to read your profile, you and I are living somewhat parallel lives with aging parents, beloved dogs, and a determination to stay fit. I think you will find good company here on the forum. Well done on getting into running and jogging; slow and steady wins the race! No pressure here, at this point in our lives, as Old Grey Fox said, we are more about satisfaction than optimal performance theses days.

Ok, my muscles are degenerating, I am off to do some promised yoga.
Hi Surfermom,
It’s so nice to know others are doing the same thing. Caring for aging parents is HARD!!! It wasn’t long ago that my dad played tennis three times a week but he got knee surgery and now can barely walk. Luckily they are getting some government assistance that we hooked them up with. It was a struggle but they are finally budging some.

A mutual love of dogs is adorable and we have another thing in common too. YOGA!
Since I started doing yoga daily every morning, I LOVE it.

Today was cloudy and while it was only -1, it felt much cooler. The sun sure makes a difference but I took a few pictures anyway. My cute little girls.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F3A8EB7-1159-4C1F-B75D-0F980EC38CD5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	5345   Click image for larger version

Name:	5BCF2859-2762-4D86-9AA5-A982523BF0B2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	5347   Click image for larger version

Name:	9353CB03-4AE9-4E63-884A-3D2B97788BA2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	5348  
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

07-03-2018, 05:20 AM

What pretty wintry, scene, Bratti. Your dogs must love the wide spaces.

Speaking of parental care, I was unable to run today - rare for me. My dad had two stents implanted today - after nearly a year of frustration becoming winded and tired when doing the thousand and three activities that he enjoys. It went very well and hopefully, he'll be back to his normal activity in short order. Tonight he was up roaming around the hospital, so something is working .
It's incredible what cardiovascular surgeons are doing now to extend people's quality of life.

Temperatures are cooling down with a front that just passed but at 16C, I have nothing to complain about. I have a date with my running shoes tomorrow at two when temps are at their warmest.

The yoga is coming along well, though and I don't think I realized how much of my flexibility of my younger years was slipping away. Without the running and step aerobics today, there is some stretching and a yoga pose or two late ...

Never mind the thud you hear in the middle of the night. It's just me falling out of Nataranjasa pose...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

07-03-2018, 04:45 PM

Best wishes to your dad, Surfermom. I'm sure the stents will help him with his breathing and make him better so he can carry on with his very active lifestyle.

Quick write-up, and it’s my mid-week session. Suffering a little with a migraine today which is probably caused by the bright lights at work but we can’t complain otherwise we get a ‘black mark’ against our name, such is the nature of the heirachy at my place of work.

As per last time, it was just a different selection of various exercises to keep my muscles and limbs supple and invigorated. Not to say that it wasn’t pretty strenuous because it was, but time is short and work rears its ugly head again tonight so I don’t want to be clapped out facing the mundane tedium of my job. How I wish these next two years would hurry up when I can get back to a normal way of life as I am reaching the point where I am more than fed up, I’m virtually depressed. But that’s a thread I may talk about thing in at a later date. The only reason I haven’t yet is because of the frivolous nature the general threads descend to and that would drag me down so a very low point indeed.

However, on with my write-up…

Wednesday, 7 Mar 18:

PUSH

Pec dec, 30kg:
30/25/22

Triceps pulldown, 41kg:
35/25/20

DB press, 20kg:
20/15/12
*I’m tempted to increase the weight on these dumbbells to 22kg, but I ‘m happy with the rep count, so I’ll leave it for a few more sessions.

PULL

E-Z bar preacher curl, 85° low pull, close grip, 28kg:
25/15/15
*This saw me increase the weight on the bar to 28kg from last week’s 23. This is the same weight I would normally be starting with if I was doing strength exercises with around 8-10 reps, so to curl 25 reps in a row was very pleasing indeed, plus the other two sets afterwards. The biceps are in terrific shape right now because of this new high rep training.

E-Z bar preacher curl, 45° standard pad, wide grip, 23kg:
20/15/15
*I do this ‘normally-positioned’ lift straight after the vertical pulls as using a wider grip on the bar works the inner ‘belly’ of the biceps which sometimes are left out when I’m focussing on the top peak of the muscle. Best to have an all-round shape to them I think. Again, up 5kg from last time.

Lat pulldown, underarm close grip, 40kg:
25/20/15
*Added a further 5kg to the stack this time around and managed the weight very well considering the increase.

LEGS

Sled press, 150kg:
35/25/25
*Just the one leg exercise today as they were still a tad tired from Monday’s pressing session. Bit of an effort on this to be honest, but I got through it.

45 minutes.

All well and good. Next session will be the weekend intense workout, probably on Friday, pending other tasks and chores!

Take care

Page 129 of 370 « First < 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 229 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top