Join for free
Page 483 of 1676 « First < 383 433 473 481 482 483 484 485 493 533 583 983 1483 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 12:46 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Well, that changed the topic.
My hubby was in the Merchant Navy now you have me all worried.
I will post tomorrow about the ships of the Union Castle line,
and how and what EDH is and AB Seaman.
EDH mmm Efficient something hand

Black Russian is something that sends me into a frenzy.
But, I too being a wine drinker, do like decent Brandy, apparently, it makes one ..................

What time is it with you Gummy Bear?
you needent keep askin wot time is it down there - sounds like I've fallen down some p-lug hole - wez is always 7 - 8hrs ahead of yuz dependin on the microwave settings!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
OMG sweetie - I think you've found my heaven - brandy /wine and muscat - you do know the way to a mans heart /wallet and nether regions don't you!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 03:16 AM

If you're still wondering,Sweetikins,EDH=Efficient Deck Hand.
Actually,I served on several Union Castle ships - including the SA Oranje,which your hubby will know was the South African version of the MV Pendennis Castle. Of all the U/C ships I served on,I still remember the Tantallon Castle,which was originally a Liberty Vessel donated by they colonials,'joorin' the worr',with the greatest affection. It took a LOT of handling to operate the derricks & booms,plus all the hatches were 'tarp-and-wedge',so took a bit of securing for rough seas...yep - regardless of ANY sarcastic remarks now incoming,the four years I spent in the Merchant Navy,prior to joining 45 RMC,were bloody marvellous-my old schoolmates were all juniors in offices,or on apprentice wages for learning skills that computers very quickly did them out of,whilst I was travelling the world as a wide-eyed teenage boy...and getting paid for doing it! I later earned my 'Home Trade' skipper's ticket-and still hold it [1200-ton coasters,NOT 120,000-ton ocean goers]-but my ticket is for the UK/continental shelf only,NOT for heading out across the Pacific.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-02-2018, 05:17 AM

'ere wez go dangle his derrick and his boom again - watch out sweetikins or 'ell ave ya trusted up in a tarp and wedge and secured for rough seas - and those seas and seamen can be rough!

Pugsie ya can spin a yarn as good as Tristan Jones!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 08:21 AM

Going to Sea was never of any interest, plus, there was the reduced risk of contracting "non pacific urethritis".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 08:23 AM

It's been a while since Jack Tar showed up!
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 10:29 AM

UNCLE BOB
My late uncle, Robert John, known to all & sundry as “Bob” spent 52 years at sea.
Sunk 3 times in WW2 , survived & later served in Korea.
Bob ran away to sea aged just 14, I use that term “ran away” loosely because he was a little “snot” as granny used to say. I guess she knew him as well as anyone can & was probably pleased to have a spare bed, for she had 8 other kids to struggle with. All these mouths to feed, often with the addition of a lodger or two. That 2 up 2 down terraced slum, along with hundreds of others in this Port City were condemned in 1936 & demolished the same year. The horses, kept in the back garden went to knacker’s yard, poor things.
Uncle Bob was my fathers’ next up older brother. There were 3 brothers namely Joseph Edward, known as Ted, then Robert John, known as Bob, and lastly my dad William, known as Bill.

Bob was a clever man, but he wasn’t clever enough to keep the fortune that he earned during his lifetime, or rather, amassed from his mainly gambling activities. He joked in later life that 90% of his income had been lavished on cigarettes, whiskey & wild, wild women. The remainder he just squandered. Although he probably didn’t coin that phrase he was the living embodiment of it.
I have led a sheltered life & am still amazed at the number of times uncle Bob was entrusted to babysit young Robert. Having been named after him, I would like to think he regarded me as somewhat special. It was a long while before it twigged that the dogs & horses which he generously gave lots of his money towards their care & upkeep was in fact gambling.

He took me to the Greyhound Racing, the Football Ground, and the Races & once to the Speedway.
Unsurprisingly he lost me every time.
Bob tagged onto my dad when his brother Bill married my mum Olive. It was an odd arrangement, Bob was at sea most of the year & lodged with us when on leave. This went on until I was 5 or 6 years of age.Bob was sick on mum’s lino once too often & dad was given an ultimatum.
“Either he goes or I go”.
Bob went to stay with his older sister Amelia, known as Sylvia & a widow at quite an early age. Bob was completely undomesticated & relied on my aunt Sylvia for everything. Many years later when they were both in their eighties Sylvia died. Bob was bereft, lost all interest in life & took to his bed. He died 2 weeks after her.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 10:53 AM

In keeping with this maritime theme, my peers may well be interested in my dad’s brother Bob, uncle Bob and the ships he sailed upon.
I have mislaid his WW2 assignments but list below his Certificates of discharge.

1955-1967
ASTURIAS
EMPIRE ORWELL
GLASGOW
ALCANTARA
IVERNIA
WINCHESTER CASTLE
SOUTHERN CROSS
PRETORIA CASTLE
TRANSVAAL CASTLE
PENDENNIS CASTLE
FRANCONIA
S. A. VAAL
S.A. ORANJE
REINA DEL MAR
NORTHERN STAR

1968-1972
CASTLE LINES
REGENT
PECOS

1973-1975.
EDINBURGH CASTLE
DRAGON

After this date when 63 he seems to have retired, or more likely
no ship would take him on because of his Trade Union militancy.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
UNCLE BOB
My late uncle, Robert John, known to all & sundry as “Bob”

Bob was a clever man, but he wasn’t clever enough to keep the fortune that he earned during his lifetime, or rather, amassed from his mainly gambling activities.
Thanks Bob for those shared memories of your Bob.

Reading through it strikes you how what good, solid down to earth dependable mens names they used to have. (Apart from your Bob that is but as he was a dependable gambler I suppose he was in a way)

Even reading of them years later you knew if they had had monikers like Bear, North, Ransom or such it would not have had the same sense of dependability.

The main reason your piece struck a chord was Bobs gambling. Many is the time I was sent on errands but two still stay with me.

First was for beer. You were given an enamel jug nearly as big as yourself and once filled was a right bugger to carry. Having skipped down a few back entries you hopped into a backyard and tapped on the door. An arm came out, a voice asked who sent you then if you gave the right answer the arm took your jug. You were given it back all heavy, frothy and reeking of hops. Once you had steadied yourself you were told to "make yourself scarce" So you did. Proof being non existent in home brew by the time you got home you were half squiffy from licking the slops of your arms

For the second errand you were entrusted with a scrap of paper with secret writing on it. It could be the back of a fag packet, bit of a letter , anything. You were also told 'if you see a copper don't stop at where you were supposed to stop' Heavy stuff for a nipper to handle. Where I was supposed to stop was our back street bookies window. You tapped on it, gave the name of who sent you, handed over the precious bit of paper and always a shilling. I either got change or not, mostly not and then told to "make yourself scarce"

Making myself scarce became a habit that I still adhere to today should the occasion arise.

Page 483 of 1676 « First < 383 433 473 481 482 483 484 485 493 533 583 983 1483 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top