Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Re: The new passports (Post-Brexit)

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
As are you Reactionaries and Brexiters. I could write your posts for you, you all sound the same.
That's because we all speak the truth.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:47 PM

What has that got to do with who makes UK passports? This is about fair tender for contracts, not individuals choosing to buy products from their own country. I've heard time and time again people saying we should all buy British products, so why shouldn't the French do the same with their home grown products.? Personally, I thnk it's very restrictive for citizens of either country to only buy home produced goods and I'll be doing exactly the opposite, but it's an individual choice.
If you are suggesting that companies from other countries shouldn't be allowed to tender for contracts from the UK, then the UK would lost out because those countries would retaliate by not allowing the UK to tender for their contracts.

I thought the glorious, Brave New World of Little Brexiterland was supposed to be about free trade and getting out there and winning trade agreements and contracts.. But when you don't win one, you sulk and say it's your ball and the others shouldn't be allowed to play. Wanting your cake and eat it...........again.
As per usual, no-one is thinking the things you imagine they're thinking and no-one has a problem with free trade.

What people are saying is that it might be preferable if some things were produced in the UK on security concerns.

That is a reasonable concern and your rabid condemnation is cringeworthy.

One wonders why you are demonising Brexiteers for wanting free trade and new trade deals around the world.

You just don't make any sense at all!
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's because we all speak the truth.
Nah, it's because you all speak the same tired old crap.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
As per usual, no-one is thinking the things you imagine they're thinking and no-one has a problem with free trade.

What people are saying is that it might be preferable if some things were produced in the UK on security concerns.

One wonders why you are demonising Brexiteers for wanting free trade and new trade deals around the world.

There are no security concerns. The contract was given to the French company partly because they are better on security. The Brexiteers are just using that as an excuse because their noses are out of joint.

Yes, it would have been good if the UK company had kept the contract. So what they needed to do, instead of sitting on their laurels and assuming it was theirs, was to make sure they were as good and competitive as the other companies tendering. No good whinging now and demanding special treatment. If that is given, other countries will retaliate and they'll lose their other contracts, and so will other UK firms.

We had a good trading agreement with the EU and a stronger negotiating position worldwide because of it. What is wrong with the Brexiteers wanting free trade and new trade deals around the world is that it puts the UK in a weak position going round cap in hand begging for trade with whoever will have us, however unpleasant their ideology. And when they see that weakness and desperation, other countries will exploit it to their advantage.

And it seems from the passport example that Brexiteers only want free trade and fair competitve tender if they are guaranteed to win.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Perfectly true. She is so upset about losing the referendum that she will continue to bleat about it for as long as she is able. Not that she'll make any difference, of course. The only thing she will achieve is to make herself look silly.

Still, as long as she's happy!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 07:00 AM

There are no security concerns. The contract was given to the French company partly because they are better on security. The Brexiteers are just using that as an excuse because their noses are out of joint.

Yes, it would have been good if the UK company had kept the contract. So what they needed to do, instead of sitting on their laurels and assuming it was theirs, was to make sure they were as good and competitive as the other companies tendering. No good whinging now and demanding special treatment. If that is given, other countries will retaliate and they'll lose their other contracts, and so will other UK firms.

We had a good trading agreement with the EU and a stronger negotiating position worldwide because of it. What is wrong with the Brexiteers wanting free trade and new trade deals around the world is that it puts the UK in a weak position going round cap in hand begging for trade with whoever will have us, however unpleasant their ideology. And when they see that weakness and desperation, other countries will exploit it to their advantage.

And it seems from the passport example that Brexiteers only want free trade and fair competitve tender if they are guaranteed to win.
I think you are wrong in your conclusion.

The point with the passports isn't really to do with trade or tendering processes but the fact that the passport is, for some ( not me tbh) an iconic representation of our new independence.
The complaints about the passports are not relative to the rest of our trading or commercial relationship.

I also think your assessment that the UK is excessively weakened is wrong. We are the 5th/6th largest economy globally and other, much smaller, economies manage just fine.

With one year to go it's time to focus on where the UK can gain value and new trading arrangements and your point about trading with countries with unpleasant ideologies is meaningless because any nation that is so outside the pale will have sanctions imposed on them by the UN.

Every other nation is open for business.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Hi

Those who voted for Brexit did so for a variety of reasons.

It is wrong to say all posts are the same, I have no objection to EU Immigration, but I have great concerns about non EU Immigration.

The most important thing is that we make a success of Brexit,

We will still trade with the EU, it is in both our interests to have a Free Trade agreement on Goods and Agriculture.

We will lose out on Financial Services and it is important that we balance that with more Free Trade agreements with countries we do not have them with.
twizzle
somerset

30-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
It is wrong to say all posts are the same, I have no objection to EU Immigration, but I have great concerns about non EU Immigration.
By voting Brexit you've ensured there will be a lot more of that.

India have already made it clear that if we want free trade agreements with them, we will have to accept high levels of immigrants from there. I expect other countries will follow suit. You've reduced us to going round with a begging bowl for trade agreements and other countries will seize what they can from our vulnerable position.
twizzle
somerset

30-03-2018, 10:02 AM

I think you are wrong in your conclusion.

The point with the passports isn't really to do with trade or tendering processes but the fact that the passport is, for some ( not me tbh) an iconic representation of our new independence.
Exactly, it's all about the xenophobic nationalism peddled by the Brexiteers. Not security, not fair trade, just a wish for protectionism, Ken Clarke was right, "Nationalistic nonsense"

The complaints about the passports are not relative to the rest of our trading or commercial relationship.
Of course they are. You either believe in free trade and a fair tendering process or you don't. The Brexiteers can't expect to cherry pick which contracts are available for tender by Johnny Foreigner. If you don't allow a fair tender process for this contract, then you can't expect other countries to let the UK to have those opportunities for contracts for their work. Quid pro quo.

I also think your assessment that the UK is excessively weakened is wrong. We are the 5th/6th largest economy globally and other, much smaller, economies manage just fine.
We are the 5th/6th largest at the moment, soon to change because of Brexit. Yes, smaller countries manage, but who wants to be reduced to just "managing"? We were better off in the EU and the Brexit vote will leave us worse off and struggling. What's the point of that?

I
With one year to go it's time to focus on where the UK can gain value and new trading arrangements and your point about trading with countries with unpleasant ideologies is meaningless because any nation that is so outside the pale will have sanctions imposed on them by the UN.

Every other nation is open for business.
Yes, if you do drag us out then we will be forced to go round cap in hand begging for new trading agreements. In the EU, we had more negotiating strength, individually we'll have less so, and we'll pay a high price for any deals we get.

And we'll have less influence on human rights, environment, animal welfare, food standards etc on countries we trade with, because we're so desparate we'll trade with anyone.

It's shameful that we'll be reduced to trading with any other nation open for business, regardless of their standards.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-03-2018, 11:04 AM

By voting Brexit you've ensured there will be a lot more of that.

India have already made it clear that if we want free trade agreements with them, we will have to accept high levels of immigrants from there. I expect other countries will follow suit. You've reduced us to going round with a begging bowl for trade agreements and other countries will seize what they can from our vulnerable position.
Why do all of you prophets of doom come up with that sort of thing?

Don't you think that free trade between us and India (and others) will not benefit them as well as us?

If we had any half decent politicians, we'd tell them 'no thanks'. 'Free trade with no conditions, or it's off.'

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top