Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:22 PM

Allergies

I was about 25 when I suddenly became allergic to fabric plasters' glue. My skin started to go red and itchy just in the area where the sticky bit lies.. but that's it!

I remember my mum was in her early 60s when she became allergic to tree pollen, and that isn't something they give you counts of (like grass pollen) on the weather forecasts on tv...so it always took her by surprise

Are you allergic to anything?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:42 PM

Re: Allergies

Yes Mushrooms, and I love them too. Sometimes I just think Sod It and have a mushroom omelette anyway.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes Mushrooms, and I love them too. Sometimes I just think Sod It and have a mushroom omelette anyway.
What happens when you do Roxy?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Not a problem these days but feathers. This was discovered as a result of allergy tests that were done back in the days when I was an asthmatic kid. I had a feather pillow so my parents bought me a foam rubber one. It maybe made a bit of difference,
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:52 PM

I am allergic to cats these days they make me sneeze. I am also allergic to penicillin, steroids, statins, codeine, aspirin. I try not to take any medication if I can help it, including paracetamol for pain.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
What happens when you do Roxy?
Bit of a rash and a load of itching..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Any washing product with "chemicals" in - I have to wear rubber gloves.

Toiletries tend to be OK, except soaps - I have a prescribed soap substitute.

Most metals, including gold - titanium is OK, though.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->

Are you allergic to anything?
I would have said no not a single thing...until a couple of year's ago when I took the first pill of a course of antibiotics for a suspected skin infection. It was flucloxacillin.

After about 10 minutes I began to get a terrible itching inside my fingers, thought I'd touched something.
I didn't think of the pill at first because I'd never had a bad reaction before.
Then the itching began in my feet too, and my chest felt a bit tight.
Quite frightening. Called the surgery and the damned place was closed that day for staff training!!
Left a message and called 111.

Almost immediately put through to a nursing sister who quickly asked me some questions and said I must get some antihistamines pdq.
I had a packet of them in the cupboard left over from heavenknowswhen and I took one (there was only one!) and got my husband home quickly with some more.

The nurse called me back several times within the next hour to monitor my reaction and I had to keep going to a mirror to see if there was any swelling around my mouth and tongue... meanwhile she'd called the surgery on some emergency line and the doctor called me.

"But I'm not allergic to penicillin!" I cried!
"You are now" he said!
It can just happen out of the blue apparently!

A significant reaction, it's called and I was lucky not to have to go to hospital.Very scary indeed.
The whole episode lasted around five hours...

Am I allergic to anything?...nope.
Oh yes!! Almost forgot, penicillin!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Simvastain, just left me in awful joint pain.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Everything in life according to an Allergy Test.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top