Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Do You Still Go To The Library?

With all of the eBooks, buying online, etc libraries aren't in use as much now. Do you visit yours? We used to & I always did love coming home with various books, some which I never got around to reading. Later, we'd take out the odd videotape or DVD/CD. Now, I just look on Amazon Kindle books. I'll probably never go back to the library which is sad but that's just me now. It was a wonderful memory especially when I was younger.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 02:22 PM

Re: Do You Still Go To The Library?

Yes, went yesterday - don't have a kindle. I love my local library and they have just built a brand new one so no way would I stop going. I can order virtually any book I want and it's there within a few days.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:00 PM

I stoped going to the library when I discovered computers so no longer have time to fit book reading in with everything else
Nimby
Cardiff UK
Nimby is female  Nimby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:11 PM

I have a Kindle but I use my library at least once a week......can't beat the feel of a book......my Kindle is used on holiday and when I'm travelling
Gypsy
Ontario, Canada
Gypsy is female 

07-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Go all the time. Cheap way to read all the latest magazines, even the daily newspaper. People respect our little library and treat the books and magazines with care.

They just started a book club too and I may join that.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Yes, went yesterday - don't have a kindle. I love my local library and they have just built a brand new one so no way would I stop going. I can order virtually any book I want and it's there within a few days.
I agree, Paula I'm not sure if you know but in England council rates are huge, I hate paying them, but I am partially consoled by the fact that some of those taxes goes to pay for my local library and as cranberry says it is a wonderful place. Not just books but DVD's can be borrowed too.

We are just comming to the end of 14 years living in Eastern Europe, nice in many ways, but I desperately missed having a library to visit on a Saturday morning.

I will always go there. You can't read papers on the internet for free any more (Except the Daily Mail which is a dubious paper anyway) and the cost of books and magazines is now outside my budget, so the library is the only answer for me.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Yes at least twice a week. I also use their request and reserve service.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:37 PM

I use the library regularly - to order a book for 55p and then have it on loan for three weeks is good value!. I have a kindle and use it to knit and read without having to weight pages down on a book to keep them from flipping over.

My local library has a knitting club, children's and toddler activities and a special summer holiday project - this year's is 'Myth and Magic'. They often have computer awareness courses at various levels, so I think joining a library is well worth while and more use is being made of their facilities in order to draw in adults and children.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 06:06 PM

No, I've not been for a couple of years. I get all my books secondhand and then return them to charity shops.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 06:18 PM

I agree libraries are wonderful places for people to be able to use for various reasons & yes Harvey, our taxes also pay for libraries. I would hate to see them close & hope they never do.
It's just I don't personally use them anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top