Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Re: Pockets sewn up (why)?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Interesting question which was worthy of a quick Google. Results I found stated that pockets are sewn up for different reasons:

1. It keeps the jacket in tight shape during its creation especially for the pressing process

2. It keeps the jacket looking sharp on a shop rail

3. It keeps dirty customers hands out of the pockets which would otherwise make them baggy.
Elementary 'mi dear' ... one needs a degree of imagination
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I bought a very nice reefer jacket today in the sales but why were the pockets sewn up? I have found this with other items of clothing i have purchased over the years so why do they do this?

To stop you spending too much over christmas?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
To stop you spending too much over christmas?
Good thinking Mups
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Interesting question which was worthy of a quick Google. Results I found stated that pockets are sewn up for different reasons:

1. It keeps the jacket in tight shape during its creation especially for the pressing process

2. It keeps the jacket looking sharp on a shop rail

3. It keeps dirty customers hands out of the pockets which would otherwise make them baggy.
Well its blooming annoying
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
Well its blooming annoying
Ha ha - it is
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 02:28 PM

I don't know why either, but I am glad, because I bought a suit and the jacket had its pockets sewn up and it looks just as smart as the day I bought it.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 08:55 PM

so they keep there shape in the tryin on room ....simples .....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 08:57 PM

Well i understood your pockets were sewn up to stop you doing certain practices.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 09:17 PM

Nice to hear all the up sides of it for the makers but what about the downsides for the wearer? For me there’s the fact that you can’t put your hands in your pockets, and as I come from a generation of hands in the pockets men I find this annoying, it means even in chilly weather I have to stand around like an Orangutan with me arms all over the place, then theres no place to put me lighter and smokes, keys, notebook and pen, you can’t fit everything into your inside pockets, makes you look all bumpy, The last thing on earth I'd use is one of those 'Men handbags' things.
I’ve turned to wearing casual jackets now anyway but it just shows you they only think of themselves and how their product looks on the hanger, they don’t give a damn for the wearer.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Well i understood your pockets were sewn up to stop you doing certain practices.
Yes, and boxing gloves were supplied to none pugilistic lads for the same reason.
For years, Opticians have been campaigning for unsewn pockets.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top