Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 11:24 AM

always wear gloves

A few years ago I got sick , dreadful sore throat , lethargic and felt so unwell . Eventually I was given a blood test and it was,found I had toxoplasmosis . Apparently cat feaces can have a parasite which lives on for weeks , if this gets into a cut or into mouth the parasite will get in to the blood stream . I always wear rubber gloves now when gardening or weeding .

Just to say I was given some very strong anti biotics which cleared everything .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 11:52 AM

Re: always wear gloves

Glad you are well now susan, so much cat poop here it makes gardening quite unpleasant without gloves so we protect ourselves all the time.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 01:44 PM

I was gardening without gloves last year and at the end of the day I came out in a red itchy rash - it started at my ankle and slowly worked it's way all over my body.
I went to the doctors the next day because it was really bad. He sent me for blood tests but nothing was found.
It went after a few days with the help of antihistamines -I never did find out what it was for sure but I'm convinced it was something from the garden...

I always wear gloves now and I make sure my trousers are tucked into some sturdy socks.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 02:43 PM

The latest in gardening wear for the cautious gardener.

[
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Im another glove wearer.. The problem is toxoplasmosis from cat poo..

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Toxopla...roduction.aspx

We have spent huge sums of money cat proofing our garden not because we have cats but in order to keep other peoples cats out!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 04:50 PM

Well I need protection in the garden for my boobs as well.
Two days ago something got in my bra and either bit or stung my right one, and it didn't 'arf hurt. I never found anything, but it left a nasty red, sore patch for the rest of the day. (Thankfully ok again now).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I need protection in the garden for my boobs as well.
Two days ago something got in my bra and either bit or stung my right one, and it didn't 'arf hurt. I never found anything, but it left a nasty red, sore patch for the rest of the day. (Thankfully ok again now).
You should have got the random breast test van to examine the problem.

I don't know what you are worried about, I don't get cat poo in my garden but I do get Redback spiders, Funnel Web spiders, White Tailed spiders and the occasional red bellied black snake but none of them are much of a problem.

Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Given what can be lurking in the Aussie garden I think Ill stick with the cat poo and the odd wasp!
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Given what can be lurking in the Aussie garden I think Ill stick with the cat poo and the odd wasp!
You have odd wasps? What is odd about them?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 10:17 AM

I wouldn't make too much of the red bellied black, while it is very venomous it is also timid and does its best to keep way from you. Brown snakes are the ones I am wary of because they are a bit territorial but never get them in my garden.

There are red back spiders everywhere but I have never been bitten and there have been some living in my garage door for thirty years (obviously not the same ones)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top