Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 04:41 PM

Seeds & Planting

Good day today with Carrots and Parsnips in with a "border" of Spring Onions to keep Carrot Root Fly away!

I've planted out my Red Onions too - grown in a growhouse until now but they had great roots so I'm hoping for a good crop.

I've got more Tomatoes on the go too as my Bush Tomatoes have not done well so far as I only have three out of nine sown that look as if they'll do.

All I've got now is Main crop spuds to do then a new sowing later for follow-on Salad leaf, Cabbage and - maybe - Swede. stevmk2
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 05:00 PM

Re: Seeds & Planting

All sounds rather good, making me a little envious, as I don"t grow vegetables, just flowers.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 05:02 PM

I started outdoor sowing last week-the time between the soil warming and too late seems to get nearer every year.

I do not miss the house I moved from but this year with a `modest` greenhouse I`m starting to miss my two large ones and my polytunnel.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 05:31 PM

the only seeds I sow directly in the garden is an extra runner bean seed for every greenhouse grown plant I set out.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2015, 07:14 PM

I'm growing some "Auld Sod" tomatoes this year! They are from seed I saved two years ago and have germinated well in the greenhouse and will be happy outside even if we have the worst of Summers. It was developed to thrive in cold wet areas!

Carrots, beetroot and lettuce (started off in the greenhouse) potatoes, onions, garlic and broad beans all doing ok outside it's been too hot really and I've been having to water them which is daft in April!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 09:17 AM

I've given up on Beetroot this year as I've had no luck with them for two years.

I used to get great crops but despite trying everything I can think of all I get now is strong foliage that then gets ripped to shreds by birds after the greenfly! stevmk2
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 06:09 PM

I used to have trouble with beets but I changed the variety I grow and someone suggested phosphorus might help and since then they've been ok.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

21-04-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
I used to have trouble with beets but I changed the variety I grow and someone suggested phosphorus might help and since then they've been ok.
Never thought of that - thanks! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

26-04-2015, 10:02 AM

I've put in the last of my potatoes now, Main Crop this time but they are actually the same as the 2nd Earlies.

I'm pleased with my Red Onions now as someone here advised to start them of in trays, which I did, and they are now planted out and doing very well now.

All I need now is a bit more sun and warmth but of course now were into a cold, damp period but at least I'm further along than last year.

We could start using our salad leaf mix in a week's time and although this is relatively cheap to buy you just can't beat home-grown for taste. stevmk2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2015, 01:35 PM

I cut my first mixed salad leaves about 10 days ago Steve, and I have done 2 more sowings since then to follow on, all different varieties. You're right, its lovely to pop outside and pick your own.

I heard we are in for a week of wintry weather again this coming week, with storms and night frosts on the way. We can do without that right now.
I have my fleece ready again to cover up some bits and bobs, like my strawberry flowers, and young Peony shoots, and my tomato plants are still small enough to come back indoors if necessary.
What a nuisance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top