Join for free
Page 55 of 1676 « First < 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 155 555 1055 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

The former post is a concrete poem, a poem that takes on the shape of an object, in this case?
If you can't see it, try being negative!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Gummy, I will only reveal my fulcrum point, it is up to the observers to stack the Bollocks, left and right, and see if all balances.
Well if we use the old adage “his brain is in his bollocks” as a guide – I would say your brain is well hung on both left and right cerebrums and hanging low!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior 2 ->
Acid Queen in TOMMY the rock opera played by Ann Margret.
I suppose that'll be acid as in LSD, not pounds, shillings
and pence but lysergic acid diethylamide.
Justamo, that's LAD not LSD.
Lucy in the sky with
diamonds is
changed
then
oh.
Was
that poetry?
or just the thin
end of an imaginary ..........wedge
Jem, acid curing cancer, it's a thought innit.
many breakthroughs resulted from thinking outside the box
looks like you've got us all boxed in there RJ

RJSD

but doesn't some childish painting come into the box too?

or as spittie would say it's ABB!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 09:23 PM

Them puzzles is way too tough for me lads, you want Pug for the likes of them, dominoes is my game and I’ve played with some tough characters in me day, in one rough pub down in the docks, aptly named “The Crow Bar” a game of dominoes went into injury time.

I may have posted this poem before but it’s one of my favourites by a man who was no stranger to the old Dublin pubs.

The workman’s friend.

A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night –
A pint of plain is your only man.

When money’s tight and hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt –

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
And your face is pale and wan,
When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan,
When hunger grows as your meals are rare –

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
You have still got a darlint plan
You still can turn to a brighter life –

(Flann O'Brien, also known as Brian O'Nolan etc.)

Brian O'Nolan wrote under several names, his best work to my mind is "At Swim -Two- Birds"

'Plain' porter was Guinness double xx as opposed to the dearer xxx stout, very popular in the 1950's in Dublin city and often called the workman's friend, it wasn't as strong as the xxx and they no longer produce it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

13-07-2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Them puzzles is way too tough for me lads, you want Pug for the likes of them, dominoes is my game and I’ve played with some tough characters in me day, in one rough pub down in the docks, aptly named “The Crow Bar” a game of dominoes went into injury time.

I may have posted this poem before but it’s one of my favourites by a man who was no stranger to the old Dublin pubs.

The workman’s friend.

A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night –

When money’s tight and hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt –

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
And your face is pale and wan,
When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan,
When hunger grows as your meals are rare –

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
You have still got a darlint plan
You still can turn to a brighter life –

(Flann O'Brien, also known as Brian O'Nolan etc.)

Brian O'Nolan wrote under several names, his best work to my mind is "At Swim -Two- Birds"

'Plain' porter was Guinness double xx as opposed to the dearer xxx stout, very popular in the 1950's in Dublin city and often called the workman's friend, it wasn't as strong as the xxx and they no longer produce it.
OK the answer to the second riddle is a harrow or rake!!

and here's the turd as the Irish say:

I’m told a certain something grows
in its pouch, swells and stands up,
lifts its covering. A proud bride grasped
that boneless wonder, the daughter of a king
covered that swollen thing with clothing.

a special for spittie!

well it sounds like a good drop to me Jem - I still remember the pleasure of drinking guiness during my tour of the Emerald Isle in '99 oh happy days.

this w/end I will embark on my own homemade beer making at a cost of 25p a litre bottle. Yes you can beat the odds!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 06:39 AM

I'm thinking Kilts and sporrans, 25p, on the face of it seems good value, provided you don't generate 10p's worth of dregs per unit, has anyone ever consumed a KFC Boneless Banquet for one?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

13-07-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'm thinking Kilts and sporrans, 25p, on the face of it seems good value, provided you don't generate 10p's worth of dregs per unit, has anyone ever consumed a KFC Boneless Banquet for one?
no spittie ya on a one track male dominated search there

I think many of us have witnessed this event at home in the kitchen when we've sneaked a peek at Mom!

Ah spittie dear fellow the dregs are collected as additional yeast for the next batch - nothing wasted everything gained. However once the first batch is bottled if you are a regular drinker of the golden nectar then a second brew must be started to keep a good brewers cycle running. If you get the gist?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 02:50 PM

I was honestly going to say a hay fork Gumbud but I thought no that’s too easy.
Good for you making your own beer, the price of a pint in my local today is 5E .50cents, us pensioners get 50 cents off between the hours of 12pm -3.30pm, I know every old lad says this and not to be the odd one out I’m saying it too, I remember when I could get 10 pints for a pound, 2 bob a pint! God be with the days, as me dad used to say when anyone complained about the price of a pint “It’s your own fault, you didn’t drink enough of it when it was cheap”
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

13-07-2016, 09:56 PM

not too easy to get a pint in WA but you can in other states. I bought a schooner of beer a few weeks back [three quarters of a pint] in a posh pub for $A9 - never again [ just over your E5.5]

that's why home brew is so attractive - if I buy a carton of beer [24 cans] it costs me $A2 a can which is only half a pint a can approx - OZ is confusing because all states have their own glass sizes. When I was in Victoria last year I could easily get a pint of guiness in a lovely old pub called the "North of Britain" - log fire and all.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 10:26 PM

I used to like a pint and a mingle, now I like a pint.

Page 55 of 1676 « First < 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 155 555 1055 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top