Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 12:44 PM

Ready for planting out?

Has anyone got their runner beans ready to go in yet? Our canes are ready and so are the beans but I'm thinking it's too cold to plant them out yet.
Only two tumbling tomato plants are showing but it was last years seed, though we have ten yellow (can't think of the name) and we didn't want that many.
I'll buy a couple more varieties when I get to the garden center.
Received my hanging basket fuschias this morning..they look healthy, so I might plant them up and keep the baskets in the greenhouse - if I can find room or maybe I'll wait until I have plants to fill them..decisions, decisions
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Re: Ready for planting out?

Hi Jane it's too early to put runner beans out yet, they don't like frost and there will be more frosts yet (maybe not so bad in the south).
Mine will be planted the last week in a April in pots in the spare bedroom. They will be planted out three weeks later surrounded by 'customised' (the tops cut and turned down to foming a frill) clear plastic mugs to deter slugs and give a bit of frost protection.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 11:23 AM

The Weather up here in the North of Scotlands awful, 2 Weeks ago I was getting the start of a nice tan while I was out cutting the lawns THEN 3 Days later I was helping Himself shovel Snow.....what's that all about lol.
I want to do Tomatoes again this year but I'm not going to even buy the Plants till after I return (hopefully) from Orkney on May 5th. As for planting things out up here I'm thinking later rather than sooner this Year.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 11:29 AM

My runner beans are just poking their heads through the compost in the seed tray in the greenhouse, but won't be planted out until the middle of May at the earliest... I have got some broad beans and peas out though, although they are much tougher...
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 03:25 PM

I am going to pot some beans and peas this week. I have already potted my Beetroot, Cabbage(grey hound grow best) Sweetcorn, Courgette, Turnips.
I have also potted some wild flowers, for the bees.
Need to do some more potting next week. Spring onions, swede, spinach.
I need to plant my onion bulbs but the weather been to bad. Hoping for a few dry days next week. Garlic is good to plant out now, they like the frost.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 03:54 PM

My runner beans are about a foot tall I planted them in newspaper pots the greenhouse.
I've put them on the table in the pergola, to harden off.
I've just looked up the date of our last predicted frost - end of this month - so they'll be fine where they are for a fortnight. Just slugs to worry about then.
Frilled pots sound interesting Meg -
Shaz, I'm jealous..I wish I had more beds to plant in but hubby won't hear of the lawn being demolished (yet)

For the frost dates, in case anyone is interested, I went to
www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather You just enter your town name.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
My runner beans are about a foot tall I planted them in newspaper pots the greenhouse.
I've put them on the table in the pergola, to harden off.
I've just looked up the date of our last predicted frost - end of this month - so they'll be fine where they are for a fortnight. Just slugs to worry about then.
Frilled pots sound interesting Meg -
Shaz, I'm jealous..I wish I had more beds to plant in but hubby won't hear of the lawn being demolished (yet)

For the frost dates, in case anyone is interested, I went to
www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather You just enter your town name.

That link didn't work for me Janela
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 06:16 PM

The link didn't work for me either Janela, but regardless of the forecast I wouldn't plant anything tender out until at least mid May. We may get lucky of course, and it depends where you are in the country, but sod's law we'll have a sharp late frost if everything is out there and vulnerable..
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

14-04-2012, 09:29 PM

No chance of planting anything out round here, hard frosts every morning, the ground is still hard and a bit snow falling now and then yet.

A shame really as I have a lot of peas in the root trainers waiting to go out.
I have spoken to Monty's tribe and warned them of the dire consequences that any incursion into the veg patch will bring down on them.
Just to be sure, the moat was filled, electric fencing powered up and the L4 machine gun towers manned.

Now all we need is for the old girl to shine her face upon us for a few days.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2012, 12:37 AM

Just found the link Janela was wanting to share - just select Country and area

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top