Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Re: Hiding friendships

The three selfs.

Public self........ for all to see.

Private self.......,family and friends only.

Secret self.......,only me.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
If you can't be honest with your partner about everything there is no point in having a relationship. My husband and I tell it like it is even if the truth is uncomfortable.
I am tempted to agree with Tarantula on this. One thing I dislike is a liar, which at some point your partner will be if he/she has a secret friend.
My experience of men who want to be friends, but keep it from their wives, is that they are lying to both of us because they expect more than friendship from me and then tell their wives they are meeting Tom Dick or Harry when they intend to spend time with me.
You would be amazed at how many men have wives that don't understand them
I have some sympathy when people have very jealous partners, but if they didn't establish that before they got involved with them, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am tempted to agree with Tarantula on this. One thing I dislike is a liar, which at some point your partner will be if he/she has a secret friend.
My experience of men who want to be friends, but keep it from their wives, is that they are lying to both of us
because they expect more than friendship from me and then tell their wives they are meeting Tom Dick or Harry when they intend to spend time with me.
You would be amazed at how many men have wives that don't understand them
I have some sympathy when people have very jealous partners, but if they didn't establish that before they got involved with them, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Couldn't agree more with you Twink, that's how I feel too.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 10:32 AM

To keep a secret friendship is wrong if you are married , if it's kept secret then there is a reason . Marriage / relationship is being open and honest with each other . If the relationship is fulfilling there would be no need , for what are they hiding it for ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Julie, l think it might if it happened in reality! You would question why he was hiding it from you, if it was innocent?
But it has happened and I'm fine with it, nothing stays secret for ever when I found out my thoughts were I trust him so why would I have a problem with it ?

I'm not insecure in my trust I trust completely, as does he.

All marriages are different no one is right or wrong I just know what works for us, I wouldn't say anyone else should copy us or they are wrong.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:50 PM

I can sort of see what Julie means ...... it's all a matter of degree.
The degree of how much you trust each other, so don't feel threatened or that it compromises or endangers your own relationship.

From what you've said Julie it doesn't sound like yours are secret.
You both know you have other separate friendships.
I don't view that as a bad thing. It can suggest a respect for each other's freedom and space.

Some posts on here sound more like when one party feels threatened by another relationship .. which isn't quite the same thing.
Enya
Suffolk
Enya is female  Enya has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 01:59 PM

I suppose it's about what works for you or both of you if you are in a partnership.
Personally for me it wouldn't bother me if my partner/husband had other friends I didn't know about.
My friend is having a similar problem, where his partner has got chatting to someone on another forum (won't mention the name) but it has been going on for nearly 2 years, he found out over Christmas. They have met up secretly a couple of times and text quite a bit, she says there is nothing sexual happening, he feels betrayed/devasted that she couldn't be open about it, and is now trying to sort out his feelings.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 02:48 PM

Not so much secret and I did not watch the program but I sort of going through it now. A very dear and close friend has found herself a boy friend. He was envious,nay almost jealous regarding our friendship. It has taken time but we are getting there. Just because she has my car and takes me shopping,just because I sometimes drop in to say hello and have a coffee does not mean I`m screwing her.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
If my husband had friendships I knew nothing about with women - that he never talked about and kept secret from me, I wouldn't like it!!

There wouldn't be a very nice atmosphere in our house if I found out!
That is just how I feel.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 03:03 PM

I'd wonder too, I'd be a liar to say otherwise ... but I'd have to do a bit of honest self analysis and ponder my relationship to see why he would feel the need in the first place.

I'd try not to leap to perhaps unfounded suspicions and feel betrayed when it might just be something innocuous.

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top