Join for free
Page 128 of 190 « First < 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

The pilot of the Boeing 787 managed to find a piece of runway flat enough and long enough on the small island of Barbados to put us down safely....
Just a mention about the Boeing 787 or 'Dreamliner' as it is called....
Depending on the model it can deliver between 242 - 335 passengers at a speed of almost six hundred miles per hour for a range of 10,000 miles ish. You may have just heard that a Dreamliner has just made a non-stop flight from Perth in Australia to London in seventeen hours. If you have been impressed by its performance you can pick one up for a snip at 239 million US Dollars..........The engines were manufactured by Rolls Royce......And just look at their size......

It was just getting dark as we departed the airport. Security seemed non-existent, but the sound of steel bands were echoing around the great warehouse used to process passengers for embarkation on the ship, and all around were flasks of Tea, Coffee and drinking water. My first impressions were of a very happy and friendly people, some officials were even swinging and dancing to the music...Not something I've noticed at Manchester Airport recently.....

The heat was incredible, and after such a long journey was beginning to wear me down, but as we stepped out on to the quayside and my first view of this mighty ship made me realise that although I've been on a couple of cruises previously, the first sight of the ship never stops the butterflies and hairs on the back of my neck from rising. I can't imagine how my daughter is feeling on her first cruise....

The insides of the ship aren't too shabby either, this is the cabin where I'll be spending the next two weeks.......Pity about the internet though.....I guess I'll have to muddle through....

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 01:00 PM

Oh, I so love this thread Foxy.

Yes, I saw on the news about the nonstop flight to Perth, a mere 17hrs!!!!

The internet is always rubbish on ships. Not worth paying the extortionate rate they ask for.
Thank-you for the lovely pics.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 07:40 PM

You're very welcome Sweetie Pie.....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 08:29 PM

Your posting style is impeccable. Beautiful pictures .
Your vacation sounds memorable.
Learning from Sweet Pea..... thank you for sharing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-03-2018, 09:14 PM

Thanks Bratti, appreciate your comments....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 06:18 AM

What a lovely series of photos! I first went to Barbados as a young girl, and the development there now is stunning an now confirmed by your aerial shot. It's become so - urban!

I am sure you were all excited to see your ship in port as you made your descent and the steel drums with the lighting of early evening must have put you in the right Caribbean mood for what could have been a cattle call embarkation. That's a nice cabin too; isn't it remarkable how well thought out every space is? They seem to think of everything and despite the limited space, it all seems to work somehow.

I know it takes a while to upload, describe, and post your photos, but it is purely enjoyable to take these little vicarious adventures with you and the rest of the Fox leash - plus one.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Foxy as a matter of interest, how did you find the food on the cruise?
I found the self-service better than the restaurant food.
Maybe that is just fussy me.
I love the fact that there are many venues for entertainment on these large liners.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanks Surfermom, it's nice to be appreciated, and I do believe there are many who look in to Bob's Bits but don't comment, well that's fine, everybody is welcome to spend time on my bits.... I enjoy doing these 'write ups' because just for a moment I'm back on board the ship or lazing on a beach, and to be honest, I just enjoy writing on the forum, it encourages me to get out and do something interesting (I hope you find it so)....

The ships are certainly well designed Surfermom, with everything you could ever want, especially the cabins. Although I could never cruise in an inside cabin.....I'd rather spend a week in Skegness!....Well....perhaps not Skegness, but you get the idea.....

Hello Sweetie Pie......The food in the restaurant?......Absolutely scrumptious.....We ate in there every night being served by the amazing Jubi and Bryan, nothing was too much trouble for them, and they even served second helpings if someone really liked a particular dish....Since I came home half a stone heavier though, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was a favour after all. We certainly had no reason to eat anywhere else. And what a wonderful experience to 'dress for dinner'....I could get used to that.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-03-2018, 04:46 PM

With no time to unpack we collapsed into bed on the first night. We couldn't waste a day while docked in Bridgetown, so after a breakfast that would take three days to digest, and still not unpacked, I foraged around in my case and found my snorkel and swimming costume.....

We left the ship and marvelled at the size.....

And in 30 degrees C of heat we went looking for a beach....
Several people had the same idea, so we followed them. I walked for a while with a fella from Sweden, and in broken English we discussed engineering (we both had been one before retiring) and the EU. He thought we were very brave to go up against the mighty EU, and were admired by many other countries in Europe. We eventually parted company and found a beautiful sheltered spot on a white sandy beach.

After trying out the snorkel, posing for photographs and just worshiping the sun, we decided to make our way back to the ship for a late lunch. There were places to eat on the beach, but I've never been a fan of the smell of cooking, and I don't like to take chances with me food....I managed to take this shot of the family before we left. That's Mrs Fox on the left, Little Fox in the middle, and her intended on the right...

I did find time to unpack upon our return to the ship, and after dressing for dinner we went topside to watch the bonds severed that held this mighty ship and she sailed off into the night and on to our next destination while we slept.....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:09 AM

The dream liners are really comfi arnt they and so much leg room. What amazes me is the colour of the sea in Barbados it's just breathtaking. Looks like you had a good time

Page 128 of 190 « First < 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top