Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Re: Waste Not Want Not

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Surely dogs should only be given food which is suitable for them, our dogs were only given dog food, nothing else.
Nothing wrong with potatoes and vegetables and rice etc, what do you think dog foods made of ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 09:54 PM

When I had this discussion with my previous vet I got a nasty comment in the notes "owner was insistent about feeding dog human food, explained to owner the dangers of this", or something to that effect. I'd had to get hold of the notes to increase the insurance and was infuriated that the vet had put such a thing in the notes based on a casual conversation.

I don't really understand why it's so wrong given dogs have survived thousands of years by sharing our food, but I don't do it as everyone says it's so bad for the dog. I haven't enough of a clue what's good and what's bad so don't want to risk his sensitive tummy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 09:58 PM

I absolutely hate it when I have to waste food because I somehow miss the "use by" date. Sometimes meat or fish stinks before the date and it's such a pity to chuck it. I'd eat veg past the sell by and eggs but not meat or fish. Hardly anything is wasted unless others don't eat up their plates (grrr).
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 11:34 PM

Interesting story about a football club doing their best not to waste food.
When Salford City had their match called off 'cos the pitch was frozen, they had 150 pies ready to go into the bin. But someone decided to give them away to the local homeless charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-43189079
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 12:16 AM

I believe I read somewhere a week or two back about they are trying to make all supermarkets give this surplus or outdated food to charities now.

One thing that bothers me slightly is, surely outdated food can be just as dodgy for the less wealthy, as it is to anyone else, especially if it is not stored or cooked properly.

Out of date, means out of date, regardless of who it is given to, although I agree there can be a slight margin depending on product type.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I believe I read somewhere a week or two back about they are trying to make all supermarkets give this surplus or outdated food to charities now.

One thing that bothers me slightly is, surely outdated food can be just as dodgy for the less wealthy, as it is to anyone else, especially if it is not stored or cooked properly.

Out of date, means out of date, regardless of who it is given to, although I agree there can be a slight margin depending on product type.
I was under the impression it was only the sort of food which wouldn't go off if eaten before its sell by date. Perishables were not included.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I was under the impression it was only the sort of food which wouldn't go off if eaten before its sell by date. Perishables were not included.

Maybe, but why would they date something in the first place if it was safe to eat anytime?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Out of date is a date that the supermarkets have dreamed up so that the consumer buys a product,modest use it all before the out of date so throws it away and goes and buys another of the same product

The only date that means anything is the USE BY

Even with that date I do the sniff and taste test

There were no dates on food when I was growing up and I can remember not having a fridge, just the cold shelf in the larder and a meat locker

Very very little food gets wasted in this house. Onion skins and leek trimmings are the only veg that hit the compost, the hens and duck get all the other trimmings boiled up for their lunch

Meat, every last scrap is eaten. If an animal had to die to feed me then I think it's a sin to throw any in the bin. Bones and carcasses are used for stock and soup, every last scrap it removed before the bones go on the compost

Veg that's really past its best makes soup. If it's just a bit bendy or sad then it gets cooked and eaten, cheese sauce hides a multitude of sins

Bread gets turned into bread pudding, bread and butter pudding, croutons , breadcrumbs etc

I even use the rind of the parmasan cheese to flavour soups

I'm not tight, I'm not "poor". I just know the value of money and refuse to throw it in the bin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top