Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Re: Could living abroad be achieved financially?

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Wait until they require medical treatment, No National Health Service abroad
There is...Spain for instance....Brits have enjoyed a fantastic health service that they don't pay for out of their own pocket.....the UK picks up the bill.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2017, 02:40 AM

Judging by the number of Pommie pensioners living in Thailand then it is definitely possible. They seem to outnumber every other western resident. (no stats just observational/anecdotal evidence)
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2017, 02:48 AM

The short answer is yes. It is quite easy.
The longer answer is: Where ? What kind of life-style do you need ?
I have done it and quite cheaply. Let's say you have a pension of $900 USD /month or 770 Euros then you can easily move abroad, permanently.
As to where is more difficult to answer. If you need to live on the French or Italian Riviera then you darn sure better be packing a fat wallet. But if you like the idea of living in Central America (Costa Rica for example) or in S.E Asia (Thailand or The Philippines) then you not only can afford it, you can live extremely well. I, personally, have lived in The Philippines for 7years and in Mexico for 6 years. Large apartments go for about $160 USD/mo in The Philippines and $200 USD/mo in Mexico. The cost of food in both places is quite cheap. Full cable with wifi also very, very cheap about another $20/mo. Water bills in both places is practically free. The wild card is the cost of electricity. In The Philippines, where will almost certainly need air conditioning monthly bills are about $100 USD. Mexico where you may or may not need A/C will run you about $15 USD/mo without A/C.
There are hundreds of thousands of expats living in The Philippines, mostly Brits, Aussies and Yanks, almost all of them over 65 yrs old.
If you are a single man, foot loose and fancy free, you will have to beat off beautiful women with a stick. Seriously. I know many old farts who have 25 year old GF's. Other expats prefer to "play the field". As a general rule, you provide her with: a nice place to live, food and oh, say $10-20/mo for clothes. And in return she will make your horny little fantasies come true, PROVIDED you treat her with kindness and respect. Caution if you are a jerk who gets his jollies by mistreating her then be aware, she WILL pay you back in spades and you will be lucky to escape with a plane ticket home and the clothes on your back. My STRONG
advice, be a gentleman.

Oh, I almost forgot. You will need about $3,000 USD seed money to set up your apt as furnished units are rare, plus expect to have a water heater installed (quite cheap) as that is considered a luxury in the P.I.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2017, 08:34 AM

Oh the romance.....and here was I thinking it was dead....when all along Thailand has it in abundance

The day I have to pay for it is the day I buy a velvet glove
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2017, 08:49 AM

I used to live in the Far East and I saw many times the most unproposing foreign men with young filipino /Thai girls .
The attraction for the girls is all in the pants , the pants pocket that is ,the one that holds the wallet .
They need a way out of the dreadful poverty of the Thailand /Phillipines
These men tend to be losers in many ways and when they take on a Filipino bride they take on the entire family and Filipino families can be extensive .
Thailand is the same .
Although there are happy partnerships the man is often estranged and isolated from his former friends and relatives .
Both countries are dangerous life is cheap there .
As Bakerman says you certainly don't want to get on the wrong side of your new family
Having said that they are both warm and colourful countries .
If that is what you want .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I used to live in the Far East and I saw many times the most unproposing foreign men with young filipino /Thai girls .
The attraction for the girls is all in the pants , the pants pocket that is ,the one that holds the wallet .
They need a way out of the dreadful poverty of the Thailand /Phillipines
These men tend to be losers in many ways and when they take on a Filipino bride they take on the entire family and Filipino families can be extensive .
Thailand is the same .
Although there are happy partnerships the man is often estranged and isolated from his former friends and relatives .
Both countries are dangerous life is cheap there .
As Bakerman says you certainly don't want to get on the wrong side of your new family
Having said that they are both warm and colourful countries .
If that is what you want .
I have to say that that is exactly the image I have of the Far East. Not for me, I'm sure.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Friend told me today her sisters state pension has dropped dramatically in Spain due to Brexit , seems she is really struggling , she's lived out there for years .
Would be interested to know how she is getting her pension paid as there are ways if you are able, to get a better rate .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Friend told me today her sisters state pension has dropped dramatically in Spain due to Brexit , seems she is really struggling , she's lived out there for years .
I knew two pommie pensioners who had to return to the UK a few years ago when the Aussie dollar became worth $US1.10 (currently around $US0.79).

They just could not live on the UK pension in this country with the Aussie dollar value so high. Unfortunately they could not get a permanent resident visa so would never be able to claim from our social security.

Things are better for such people now but the pound has also gone down as our dollar went back to a more historically average value so our dollar is still worth about 60p.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Ok all you BRITISH ex Pats , if you are still getting your pension from the U k , how are you getting it paid to you?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I knew two pommie pensioners who had to return to the UK a few years ago when the Aussie dollar became worth $US1.10 (currently around $US0.79).

They just could not live on the UK pension in this country with the Aussie dollar value so high. Unfortunately they could not get a permanent resident visa so would never be able to claim from our social security.

Things are better for such people now but the pound has also gone down as our dollar went back to a more historically average value so our dollar is still worth about 60p.
Pensioners who live in Australia Canada don't I understand get the increases as do hose living in Europe .

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top