Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 06:59 AM

Waste Not Want Not

Under a New Law in France 2016, it is a requirement that all Grocery Stores give left over food is given to Charity
Throwing away edible food can bring a fine of $4,500.
It is kept fresh in huge Fridges before delivery and tested as well

Such a good idea as this food will feed thousand of people who have little money for food.

America food waste is $200 billion annually. Scandalous!

UK wastes £7 million or £470 each household annually.

The supermarkets waste the most and they could easily give away much more.

Source, 'the salt' "What's On Your Plate" 18/02/2018
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Re: Waste Not Want Not

It's true we do waste food
It's supermarkets we all buy too much .
Who hasn't gone into a supermarket for a loaf and come out with £50 worth of stuff we could have well done without.
Basically our eyes are bigger than our bellies.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:36 AM

The supermarkets have all those offers too, 3 for the price of 2 and BOGOFs so they are partly responsible for food waste as we buy more than we need.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:46 PM

I don't think i waste much. I couldn't live without my freezer and only get enough out each morning that i'm going to need that day. If i have got anything which may go off, i'll cook it and put it in the freezer.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Under a New Law in France 2016, it is a requirement that all Grocery Stores give left over food is given to Charity
Throwing away edible food can bring a fine of $4,500.
It is kept fresh in huge Fridges before delivery and tested as well

Such a good idea as this food will feed thousand of people who have little money for food.

America food waste is $200 billion annually. Scandalous!

UK wastes £7 million or £470 each household annually.

The supermarkets waste the most and they could easily give away much more.

Source, 'the salt' "What's On Your Plate" 18/02/2018
I think that's a great idea. In fact, I would go further and say why not give the food to customers as well.

I was in Sainsbury's the other day and the lady on deli was calling out asking if anyone wanted this pie for 40p before it went in the bin. There were no takers so I assume it was thrown away. What a waste.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:06 PM

If you buy it use it is my motto. I try to follow that but admit to sometimes feeding the birds extra bread and fruit.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:47 PM

We bought a second freezer we managed to fit it by the front door, just don't try to put your coat and shoes on there all our left overs are either eaten by hungry young man, dogs or frozen for later. The bogofs are great but never buy anything just because it's cheap make sure you can use it or gift it.

That means apart from onion skins and leek tops our waste is minimal.

I do though get a black bin bag of waste food from the two fridges I have to clear and clean on Friday evenings, I bring as much as we can use home but if I can't hide it in my handbag I can't get away with it. Now that's such a waste.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:50 PM

I think it is awful to waste food when people are starving. I never put on our plates more than a reasonable portion, I believe overeating is wrong too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 04:54 PM

We often have more than we can eat or we'd not have some for the dogs little row of brown eyes all waiting to see what's going to be left.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We often have more than we can eat or we'd not have some for the dogs little row of brown eyes all waiting to see what's going to be left.
Surely dogs should only be given food which is suitable for them, our dogs were only given dog food, nothing else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top