Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 10:20 PM

Re: Aluminium and toxic free deodorants

Good job I don't smell.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't use any of these products, I stink, but, on the positive side, I will live forever.

I know. I can smell you from here when the wind changes direction Spitty.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Thanks for all those replies and information - that should give me some options to look at.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Hi

I am going to make myself unpopular again, but here goes.

Stop worrying.

Aluminium is one of the most common metals, you cannot avoid it, it is everywhere,

it is very reactive, that is why there are so many salts of it.

It is in the food you eat, even organic food, it is in the water you drink.

Baking foil is Aluminium.

It is dumped into your drinking water to make it look clear, it is a flocculant.

Aluminium in vast quantities will cause you harm, day to day use will not.

Chill out, relax, the amount in deodorants is minimal and the form that it is in is not easily adsorbed through the skin.

Everybody knows for example that Asbestos is dangerous.

It is , but only when you breath it in when it is dry.

When I am teaching, I put asbestos into a soup dish, pour milk on it and eat it like Cornflakes, absolutely no risk whatsoever,

That gets their attention.

Rub down an old Artex ceiling or drill a hole in an old plastic floor tile, and you are toast.

If you aren't working in an Aluminium factory or unfortunate enough to be in Camelford, forget it.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Stating something is "Aluminium free" and putting an Alum compound in it is like saying Tomato Sauce has no tomatoes. It's untrue, misleading and nothing but a terminology marketing gimmick.

You don't want any Aluminium OR Alum compound under your armpits imo.
Mercola marketing gimmick?

Potassium alum (and other alums) is a natural mineral salt made up of molecules that are too large to be absorbed by your skin
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 03:31 PM

I would have thought parabens were a much bigger health threat in deodorant than aluminium.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 03:38 PM

Sod aluminium-when the chaps in suits come from a combination of Porton Down and some place in America that I cannot name they clad my father`s feet in lead-such was the health hazzard
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Potassium alum (and other alums) is a natural mineral salt made up of molecules that are too large to be absorbed by your skin
No, I'm sorry to say, you have allowed yourself to be duped once again.

"When alum (full name, Potassium or Ammonium aluminum sulfate) is in its solid crystal form, the molecules create a crystalline structure. However, when it is wetted, the molecules break out of their crystalline structure and become ions (singular atoms with a positive or negative charge). So, when you're applying a wetted crystal to your skin, you're applying aluminum ions, the smallest possible form of aluminum, to your skin.

Hmmm those big product name manufacturers didn't put that on their label did they?!

The molecular weight of Aluminum Chlorohydrate (which IS absorbed by the skin) is 174.45

The molecular weight of an aluminium ion is just 27

So by putting wetted alum crystal onto your skin, or letting those crystals become wet from your sweat, you are in fact putting aluminium ions onto your skin which are 6 times smaller than the aluminium people are trying to avoid. So they very much are going to be absorbed by your skin.

"Aluminum ions are toxic to plants and animals. The crystal companies love to say that aluminum is a naturally occurring mineral from the earth, but they don't tell you that naturally-occurring aluminum in soil is problematic. Plants don't grow in aluminum-rich soils. Aluminum is abundant, but it plays no part in any biological function in plants or animals Current research points to the possibility that aluminum robs cells of magnesium (source) a vital mineral, and that's why they won't grow.

One of the biggest problems of acid rain is that aluminum leaches (turns from a solid metal to a dissolved, ionic form) into water under acidic conditions. In streams and bodies of water that have turned acidic, plants and animals die because of the aluminum toxicity from soil leaching."

If you are interested in a full breakdown of the situation then the article below is a useful read:

http://chemicaloftheday.squarespace....bout-alum.html
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
No, I'm sorry to say, you have allowed yourself to be duped once again.
At least I am not being duped by Mercola's illegal claims.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
At least I am not being duped by Mercola's illegal claims.
I'm not duped by any of Mercola's material. I know that I don't want any Aluminium or Aluminium compounds (Alums) pasting on my skin.

I know that I can not trust the mainstream medical industry to openly and honestly report the true health issues associated with Alum containing deodorants and anti-perspirants, because that medical industry is a for-profit big business that only cares about money.

In the years to come, when enough studies are done to prove the bad effects of Alum, esp for women and breast cancer, they will quickly remove the compounds and replace them with some other Gobbledygook ingredient that the general ignorant populous can't understand and the cycle will start over.

Bottom line for me is simple. Avoid all anti-perspirants. Select a deodorant that contains absolutely no Aluminium or Alum compounds. Simples.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top