Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2017, 11:47 PM

Re: I hate wholemeal bread

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I sometimes make bread sarnies - out of bread . I get 2 slices of Tesco seeded bread and a slice of white bread in between. I then stick em in my George Foreman Grill for a number of mins. The white bread becomes hot and steamy and the other 2 slice become toasted and crunchy.

Nice eh ?
Sounds divine
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 02:55 PM

As one of the forum's keener artisan bread makers I guess I should make some comment here.

First let me say, anyone who is buying bread in plastic wrap from their local supermarket, simply does not understand what bread is. Supermarket bread is not bread, it is a cocktail of undesirable chemicals and flour/flavour enhancers which are are far removed from good wholesome bread as tomato ketchup is from a ripe italian plum tomato.

If OP's statement concerns a dislike of wholemeal breads generally bought from supermarket (of which I am unsure as the post didn't make it clear), then I would strongly suggest trying "real" bread from a real artisan bakery.

As I have laboured to stress in other "bready" threads, the core issue with bread, is the amount of time taken to properly ferment the dough which should be in the order of many hours (min 4 to 6 hrs) and preferably 12 to 24 hours.
That is how "real" bread is made and such bread is made with only 4 ingredients which are flour, water, salt and a form of leavening (yeast, wild yeast ((sourdough)), yeast waters etc).

It is the process of that long fermentation that results in the various dough elements producing the right levels of CO2 and ethanol which in turn is what produces all of the great flavour in the bread. At the same time that fermentation ensures that the grain (flour) is properly converted which makes it infinitely more digestible by the human gut.

Breads that are forced through the basic processes and made in 1 to 2 hours have little of the flavour and are much less digestible and leave people with bread issues. The cocktail of bad chemicals and ingredients in commercial bread is responsible for most of people's bread related issues leaving people believing that they are gluten intolerant when in fact they are nothing of the sort, they have simply been effectively poisoned.

Give me a so called gluten intolerant person and I will make them a long fermented loaf with white, spelt and rye flours using natural wild yeasts (sourdough) and I will most likely see them gollop it down with no after effects whatsoever.
It's all in the making, all in the process.

I would encourage OP to make their own bread and in particular create their own sourdough starter (the wild yeast) which is nothing more than a little bit of flour and water mixed together and left to ferment over 5 to 7 days (feeding with more flour and water along the way). It really is ridiculously easy to do.

I have considered a number of times, starting up some "Bread School" threads to pass on my bread knowledge to any forum members that are interested. The more people that make their own wholesome homemade bread the better imo.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have made my own bread before and I agree, it's way better than store-bought. I made a loaf once of honey wheat made with whole wheat flour and it was really good.

PS - you can come to my house anytime and bake for me
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Excellent post Realspeed. I have tried to interest Mrs Dobra to buy a Panasonic bread-maker but to no avail. The local bread shop produces low quality breads from cardboard cartons supplied by the newsagent over the road (just kidding) but the taste is astronomically awful. As Mrs D also has a gut problem for several years, I thought home made would be good for her. Even tried German Rye breads...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2017, 08:54 AM

For my general everyday bread I buy Hovis' Best of both.'
It tastes more like white but has the goodness of wholemeal.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Despite how much healthier it is for you, I just can't get over the taste or texture of wholemeal bread as opposed to your average white bread. I've found maybe one or two wholemeal breads I've liked, but most of them I hate with a passion.

I'm a confirmed white bread addict.

Anyone else?
I suppose hating brown bread is better than hating brown people.
Linda0818
USA

06-05-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I suppose hating brown bread is better than hating brown people.
Quite true
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
As Mrs D also has a gut problem for several years, I thought home made would be good for her. Even tried German Rye breads...
Home made or bought from an artisan bakery will do her just fine but the crucial element either way is that the bread MUST be long fermented. Without a long fermentation (of at least 4 to12 hrs) the bread will be difficult to digest. The bulk fermentation is what changes the grain/flour into its proper state.

You can do this at home easily but if you are not used to making your own artisan breads then just seek out your nearest "real" artisan bakery (i.e not the defacto crappy bakery that just sells custard slices, cream buns and crappy white bread).

Always ask if the bread has been long fermented, preferably overnight. Your wife should have no issues with such bread.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 03:15 PM

I make my own bread, in the Panny. And i do it with a mixture of 70% wholemeal and 30% white. So you're getting the goodness of the wholemeal but the white makes it a bit softer.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 03:21 PM

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought white bread...I absolutely hate the stuff.

Mostly I purchase 12 grain, whole wheat, bread or malt bread, which I really do enjoy.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top