Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Printers

My Epson printer is just about at the end of it's useful life and I have been wondering about it's replacement. Due to the high cost of ink cartridges I have been considering one of these:-

https://www.epson.co.uk/for-home/ecotank

Have any of you used these?

Are they any good?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Re: Printers

I got a Canon not long ago Tabs, it is quite good but more complicated than my old Epsom. As you say, the bloomin' ink cartridges cost a fortune if you get genuine ones.
Going from memory, I believe my last ones were around £73 for 5 !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:27 PM

I have an Epson XP-225. Been a marvellous printer so far. I get replacement ink cartridges from Ebay and they cost very little. I always buy printers with very low running costs. The secret is to make sure you can get replacement ink cartridges for little money (not genuine). I just printed out a complete book in fact over of around 120 pages. As the ink costs me next to nothing and the paper was only £12 for 5 reams (again from Ebay) I never worry about whether or not I should print something.

How does 20 ink cartridges for around £8.00 grab you (or less)?

Ebay Search ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...idges&_sacat=0
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:32 PM

Depends what you are using it for - for colour photos and such I use a Kodak printer (cheapest cartridges) the cartridges for which can be replaced individually. For everything else I use a Samsung monochrome laser printer - hundreds of pages printed out with just one toner cartridge. Print speed is super fast too - no more than ten seconds to print first page then around four seconds per page afterwards.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I got a Canon not long ago Tabs, it is quite good but more complicated than my old Epsom. As you say, the bloomin' ink cartridges cost a fortune if you get genuine ones.
Going from memory, I believe my last ones were around £73 for 5 !
I love Epson printers, Mups - they are efficient and not complicated at all. These Eco-Tank ones sound good. The tanks hold about two years supply of ink (obviously depends on use) and then you just refill them from bottles - which are much, much cheaper than cartridges. Would just like to hear a first hand account from someone who has used one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

19-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Depends what you are using it for - for colour photos and such I use a Kodak printer (cheapest cartridges) the cartridges for which can be replaced individually. For everything else I use a Samsung monochrome laser printer - hundreds of pages printed out with just one toner cartridge. Print speed is super fast too - no more than ten seconds to print first page then around four seconds per page afterwards.
Hi Judd - I use for both writing and producing images for my 'crafty stuff' - I like Epson and was just wondering if anyone had experience of these Eco-Tank ones.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

19-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I have an Epson XP-225. Been a marvellous printer so far. I get replacement ink cartridges from Ebay and they cost very little. I always buy printers with very low running costs. The secret is to make sure you can get replacement ink cartridges for little money (not genuine). I just printed out a complete book in fact over of around 120 pages. As the ink costs me next to nothing and the paper was only £12 for 5 reams (again from Ebay) I never worry about whether or not I should print something.

How does 20 ink cartridges for around £8.00 grab you (or less)?

Ebay Search ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...idges&_sacat=0
Thanks MKJ - but I have not had much luck with compatibles. They wrecked my first printer - a Canon - and didn't give me the quality I wanted in my previous Epson - am reluctant to try again - although the prices in your link are very tempting !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love Epson printers, Mups - they are efficient and not complicated at all. These Eco-Tank ones sound good. The tanks hold about two years supply of ink (obviously depends on use) and then you just refill them from bottles - which are much, much cheaper than cartridges. Would just like to hear a first hand account from someone who has used one.
Believe it or not I once did some training to become a secretary. I ended up in various offices and in one they had a printer with tanks. It was my job to keep it refilled. Worked great, though it can get messy.

As for whether ink is cheaper than cheap replacement cartridges that is open to question. I've looked into acquiring a large format printer lately. The ink for these costs a fair few pounds a bottle even if imported. Much more expensive than I thought - hundreds of pounds in fact for a full set. There wasn't a cheap alternative anywhere to be found.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

19-06-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thanks MKJ - but I have not had much luck with compatibles. They wrecked my first printer - a Canon - and didn't give me the quality I wanted in my previous Epson - am reluctant to try again - although the prices in your link are very tempting !
I wouldn't go with a Canon if you intend to use compatibles. I've had numerous Epsons and not had trouble with any of them. Saved myself a fortune.

Probably a good idea to source the replacement ink first and see how much it is likely to set you back, if you fancy the tank versions that is.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 07:15 PM

Mines an HP, I use genuine ink cartridges, not expensive on eBay. It's my second one of this make and I'm very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top