Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Things you just can't cook

Just writing about my disasterous yorkies in the lunch thread made me want to ask what can you not cook ? No matter what recipe you use it just won't go right.

Mines Yorkshire puddings are mine they never look like Yorkshires and certainly don't taste like them, think savoury cake and not a pleasant one and that's my yorkies.

I'm not good at pastry either my husband says my hands are too hot, but he makes lovely pastry so I make fillings and he makes the pastry, we make a good team.

He can't make cake so I make cake, Christmas one is in the bottom of the wardrobe as I speak and he does amazing icing creations with it. Graces birthday he did a barbie doll last year and this year he made a handbag with contents looked so life like it was amazing.

So what's your worst ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:31 PM

Re: Things you just can't cook

Mine is a simple omelette. I can cook most things but I always struggle with them. They either fall apart or get a burnt bottom. I have tried different pans, different oils, no oils, different heats but with no luck.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:43 PM

Have only had a couple of disasters in the kitchen - once made a chocolate sponge cake which fell apart as I began to put the filling in between the two halves.

Julie darlin' - batter pudding (for yorshire puddings) is ever so, ever so easy. Sieve 4 oz of plain flour in a bowl, add 2 eggs, mix together until flour and eggs become 'sticky'. Gently add 1/2 pt milk (in stages) continually stirring throughout until batter mixture is pourable. Add 1/2 Tsp salt and continue to stir for a few moments. Leave to stand.

In a cake baking tray (the small individual ones) place a small quantity of lard in each one. Place in a hot oven (230 oC) until lard has melted and is 'spitting' hot. Remove from oven. Return to batter mix and whisk again vigorously. With a spoon add the batter to the cake tin. Return to oven and bake for approx 20 mins - Voila!!! - batter puddings!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:45 PM

I've done it all ways Uj nothing works, my poor nan was tears g her hair out she demonstrated it to me so many times but still yuk.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:52 PM

I cannot make bread, never could. Doesn’t even turn out right when I use a bread maker!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-11-2017, 02:59 PM

And I thought my bread maker was infallible my bread in or out of it's pretty nice. But I know you aren't alone not being able to make a decent loaf, that can be down to something as simple as your kitchen is too hot or cold or moist. It's as silly as that with bread.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've done it all ways Uj nothing works, my poor nan was tears g her hair out she demonstrated it to me so many times but still yuk.
Go and get some Aunty Bessies. Saves a lot of bother.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Try making Yorkshire puddings without the milk Julie. Plain flour, eggs to make a sort of dough and then add the water and beat well. Put the mix in the fridge for an hour (very important). Mix again and lastly add salt/pepper (or herbs or whatever) and pour into either a pan or individual bun tins with very hot fat in and cook in a pre-heated hot oven. I bet they will touch the top of the oven. Works for me and I am no great shakes in the cooking department.

I can't bake bread - takes far too long - all that messing about proving, etc.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Go and get some Aunty Bessies. Saves a lot of bother.
Oh i do all the time, she's Saint Bessie here.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:13 PM

I wonder if anyone remembers the Tupperware Yorkshire Pudding mixer. You put all the ingredients in a tall beaker with a domed lid and gave it a shake and voila perfect Yorkshire’s, well that’s if you believe the blurb!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top