Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Re: Onions

Raw onions served as a vegetable side dish - and very good they were too.......a crunchy veg mixed with mint which eliminates their sharp flavour.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 05:36 AM

I use onions a lot in recipes, I think I must have become immune to the fumes because I don't use any of the solutions suggested here and I don't seem to suffer. Could be famous last words, I will be crying buckets from now on
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I don't cry cutting up onions, I chop up onions every day, so I suppose you must get used to it.
Same here. I'm an onion fanatic. I put them in just about everything savory.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 06:54 PM

if you leave the root intact and cut from the stem it should release less of the nasty chemical. Apparently coating the knife in lemon juice also helps.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
if you leave the root intact and cut from the stem it should release less of the nasty chemical. Apparently coating the knife in lemon juice also helps.
I've also heard that bit about the root Annie
It seems to work

The food technology teacher at school gets the kids to suck on a teaspoon while they cut
It's probably the quietest some of them are for the whole of the day!!!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Raw onions served as a vegetable side dish - and very good they were too.......a crunchy veg mixed with mint which eliminates their sharp flavour.
Oh yummy Lindy, I sprinkle a little olive oil & vinegar + a tad of sugar.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I've also heard that bit about the root Annie
It seems to work

The food technology teacher at school gets the kids to suck on a teaspoon while they cut
It's probably the quietest some of them are for the whole of the day!!!

I saw it on Saturday Kitchen, a chef's tip.

The sucking must be to do with having something against the roof of your mouth because one tip is to hold your tongue against it. The holding your tongue against the roof of your mouth is also good if you want to sneeze, but it's not appropriate to do so. It stops the sneezy feeling.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top