Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 06:43 PM

How many blokes here do the ironing?

Maybe it's because I'm a relative youngster on the forum but I believe the 'tradition' of a man thinking that the woman should do all the housework is selfish. I have friends in their early 60's who are still of the antequated persuasion that a man brings home the bread and his wife tends to his every need. Cooking his meal, doing all the washing and ironing, cleaning the house etc.
The man does 'other things' like DIY and fixing the car.

I disagree with all that. Whilst I'm useless at dusting and not great at cooking, I do all the vacuuming and ironing.

Is it just me. What do you other guys do to help, if anything, around the house?
What do the ladies think too?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Re: How many blokes here do the ironing?

Hiya Floydy. I must admit the only housework i won't do..and that's only cos my wife won't let me..is the ironing. The simple reason is that whatever i'm attempting to iron usually finishes up with more creases in it than it started with. No matter how much time i take and care i take it always has creases permanently in the material.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:08 PM

Always have done the ironing especially my shirts, cook every Sunday and every other week day.
I have spent the last couple of weeks dusting, vacuuming and polishing, Mrs Rehab is a bit poorly so I am working under guidance. Even when Mrs Rehab is ok I tend to do the stuff I am qualified for, bathroom and toilets and the cooker...I don’t touch that white machine that goes round and round and makes a lot of noise, it looks dangerous and complicated so I steer away from it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:10 PM

We tend to share all of the household chores such as cooking and cleaning, and although I am quite proficient with the iron, having learned in the army, Mrs B considers that to be her domain only and I am barred from it, as I claim the workshop to be my fiefdom and bar her from there. It works for us....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:10 PM

Tony never in all our married life changed a nappy and he never washed a pot until he retired. We just both took it for granted - he did his thing & I did mine.

It never bothered me - he did the garden and all the DIY jobs. It's only recently I took an interest in the garden..

When he retired of course it all changed. I taught him to cook simple meals and put a load of washing in the machine. He also does all the hovering and is charge of the dishwasher. He couldn't iron - I don't make him.

My son is a modern man - he irons, washes, changes nappies - the lot. He also works full time.

How times have changed!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Hi

No chance Floydy, life is too short for ironing.

I clean the loos, I will clean blocked drains and sewers, I have done exhumations and cleaned up after dead bodies and mass graves.

I have changed Sanitary Pads and wiped bums.

I will not iron, life is too short.

I recently tried, five minutes was enough.

I pay for it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:48 PM

My Dad was very good at ironing , he was so particular about doing it properly. When Mum died leaving him with 3 little girls I suppose he had to learn quickly with all those dresses to iron.

My husband was good at ironing too, part of army training .

Before my son went off to University I made sure he could wash/iron/cook.
He is an excellent husband and shares the housework and childcare.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:54 PM

ps. Further to my above...I am also brilliant in bed ....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My Dad was very good at ironing , he was so particular about doing it properly. When Mum died leaving him with 3 little girls I suppose he had to learn quickly with all those dresses to iron.

My husband was good at ironing too, part of army training .

Before my son went off to University I made sure he could wash/iron/cook.
He is an excellent husband and shares the housework and childcare.
Hi

I have never been military, so never had to iron.

Anything else is fine, I simply cannot stand it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 08:00 PM

My husband is a meticulous ironer I am slapdash .
As I live in the country where everyone dresses for the farm yard anyway ironing is not a big deal

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top