Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:39 PM

Cancer screening - would you want to know?

Now that there is a super new cancer detection blood test it will be easier than ever to quickly find out whether we have cancer. But if we all have the test how would we feel if we found out, without having had any symptoms, that we have cancer? What if you couldn't treat it?

Would you take the test if it were available here?

"A significant subset thinks that earlier detection is key to preventing deaths. Another segment thinks that earlier detection isn’t always key, and that screening can actually do substantial harm. While some doctors push for broad screening, others urge caution even as diagnostic technology surges ahead."

https://www.popsci.com/broad-cancer-screening#page-2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Re: Cancer screening - would you want to know?

Having had cancer before it would be good to see if there's any still lingering so that the appropriate treatment can be administered.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 11:44 PM

It's something that nobody would wish to find out. So I'm not sure how successful it would be.
My own thoughts are that if you have it, it will show up one way or another at some time, so better sooner rather than later.
Having had the horrible thing a few years ago, it's a subject I find difficult to talk about, as it always hangs over like a black cloud .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Having had cancer before it would be good to see if there's any still lingering so that the appropriate treatment can be administered.

Yes, I can understand that Judd.

I believe I heard on the news earlier that this blood test will be able to detect up to 8 different types of cancer eventually, but it will not be available for a long time yet.

Not sure how I'd feel about it until if/when the time came.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 12:20 AM

According to the article the main reservations seem to be
1) Some cancers don't develop that way, as in don't become life threatening.
2) The treatment can be more aggressive then the cancer.
3) Some go away on their own.
4) Some cancers can progress so slowly you'll probably die of something else first.

None of which to me sound a good deterrent that will put anyone off who would want to know they have cancer ...early on .. so they can have the best treatment on offer for their particular cancer and the sooner the better by early diagnosis.

Anyone who has had cancer ..or seen someone suffer or die from cancer knows that time is of essence.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 12:29 AM

So I suppose if the blood showed Negative results, it would only mean you didn't have certain cancers - not that you didn't have any cancers.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:06 AM

After having had prostate cancer,I have regular blood test screening,so not a problem as far as I can see.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Yes if it were possible to catch it early and then be able to treat it why wouldn't you?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Having had cancer twice now, of course I support anything which helps detect and treat this disease. Because I was only 30 when I had my first bowel cancer, and due to a chance conversation with a surgeon (when I was working in the NHS) both of my children are checked with colonoscopies every five years and have been for many years now. Both have had polyps removed, which could have become cancerous.

Currently I am undergoing scans and a scope on 31st to see the present situation. I know full well that it could be negative but if so, I will deal with it. I have already had two years more than I expected, so am grateful.

I need to buy a new suite - but I will wait until I get my results.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 01:07 PM

If I could have had a simple blood test originally to find out I'd have had it no problem. Waiting until I could feel a lump almost was too long. If it can save your life I'd say go for it.

As for treatments, yes they can be gruelling but they aren't for ever if you catch the cancer early enough they can be for shorter periods of time you may just need a lumpectomy and nothing else which is fairly easy to get over.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top