Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Re: Suggestions please

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
You could buy a cheap vegetarin cook book in a charity shop and try some their recipes.
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a vegetarian pretendy meat, made from mould and cultures, mushroom like growth. They extrude it into shapes and flavour it.

Sounds horrible but tastes nice.
Quorn once sold a recipe book (I have one) but I'm not sure if it's still available. You could try their website.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's a vegetarian pretendy meat, made from mould and cultures, mushroom like growth. They extrude it into shapes and flavour it.

Sounds horrible but tastes nice.
IMO, some Quorn products are better than others - I like the Scotch Eggs, Burgers and Sausages but I don't like the Mince and Pieces (I have to mix the last two with meat to make them appetising!).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IMO, some Quorn products are better than others - I like the Scotch Eggs, Burgers and Sausages but I don't like the Mince and Pieces (I have to mix the last two with meat to make them appetising!).
I prefer their scotch eggs to the real thing. Less reflux involved.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Quorn once sold a recipe book (I have one) but I'm not sure if it's still available. You could try their website.
Good idea!

The website:

https://www.quorn.co.uk/recipes

Tikka Masala with Quorn Pieces

https://www.quorn.co.uk/recipes/vege...n-tikka-masala
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Sometimes I love this site thank you all. Lots to think about.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Or how about a veggie kidney bean chilli & rice, using Quorn mince.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

25-01-2018, 08:00 PM

My favourite bangers'n'mash is made with Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages:

http://lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our...rian-sausages/

They're sometimes as cheap as £1 for a packet of 6, which is when i fill the freezer with them .....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2018, 07:45 PM

Hi, Julie. I prepared vegetarian meals for my son and daughter for their entire school careers, and the first thing I might suggest is that not every meal has to be a prepared hot meal, and some things you can put in Gracie's lunch box and let her put it together herself. One of the things I did regularly was take the kids to the market after school once a week to pick their fruit and vegggies for the next week. If I did prepare the meals, I would often devote half of a Sunday about once a month to cook large batches of stews, curries, and soups, and then store and freeze them in individual containers so I wouldn't feel overwhelmed. Some of the other things I frequently packed:

Ingredients to make yogurt parfait: Granola, several types of berries, lowfat yogurt.
Cheese plate: Grapes, dates, cheeses, assorted crackers and breads
Veggies and dip: Baby carrots, celery, cucumber, etc. Favorite salad dressing or hummus <---excellent protein source
Burritos: Black beans, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, salsa sour cream etc. in flour tortillas
Rolled sandwiches: Flour tortilla or flat bread with favorite ingredients then sliced into pinwheels
Make your own cold pizza: Small container of marinara, mozarella cheese, veggies and an English muffin
Peanut butter (or some nut butter) and jam sandwiches
Healthy trail mix: nuts, dried fruit
Veggie sushi
Breakfast burrito: Scrambled eggs, vegetarian sausage, cheese, black beans, corn, salsa for dipping on the side
Veggie hamburgers

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top