Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 05:16 PM

Are there benefits of eating organic food and being a veggie

I once lived above an old stable part of an old big house.
There was a guy there who had rented some land surrounding the house and was growing organic veg there. There were also some sheep there being raised organically.

Are there any actual benefits of eating organically grown and raised food?

I was also toying with the idea of becoming vegetarian as I've been told by a friend it would be better for me. Have to admit it would be a bind to give up bacon, spaghetti bolognese and chicken.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Re: Are there benefits of eating organic food and being a veggie

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I once lived above an old stable part of an old big house.
There was a guy there who had rented some land surrounding the house and was growing organic veg there. There were also some sheep there being raised organically.

Are there any actual benefits of eating organically grown and raised food?

I was also toying with the idea of becoming vegetarian as I've been told by a friend it would be better for me. Have to admit it would be a bind to give up bacon, spaghetti bolognese and chicken.

Homo sapiens are omni-vores and derive nutrients from both meat and vegetables - stick with that and you can't go far wrong.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 05:48 PM

I think organic is a bunch of malarkey to get you to pay more. Giving everything a good scrub gets rid of anything on the outside.

I like my food and for me food is both veggie and meat. Mostly though chicken and pork and I restrict beef to twice a week. Several pieces of fruit a day, two veg with evening meal.

All my numbers are right where they should be. I could stand to lose a few pounds but I blame that on winter and not walking most days.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 05:55 PM

I would like to think that organic is beneficial seeing as we have to pay more for it but who really knows.

I love apples but they don't like me. If I eat an apple I get little bumps on my lips which last about half an hour. This doesn't happen with organic apples so I can always tell if the supplier has slipped a couple of non organic in the pack to make up the numbers.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Longdogs, that kind of makes you wonder what is really organic and what just says organic on the label.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Longdogs, that kind of makes you wonder what is really organic and what just says organic on the label.
Yes it does Adanac.

I suppose if you think about it, If a farmer has to supply fifty bags of organic sprouts but only has enough to fill 49, what is he going to do?
Adanac
canada

29-01-2018, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes it does Adanac.

I suppose if you think about it, If a farmer has to supply fifty bags of organic sprouts but only has enough to fill 49, what is he going to do?

that's when cheating comes in.

Ever tried spraying the apples with vinegar and letting them sit for a few minutes before giving it a good rinse. Could be the coating on non organic apples giving you the problem. I do that as I don't want to eat pesticides.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
that's when cheating comes in.

Ever tried spraying the apples with vinegar and letting them sit for a few minutes before giving it a good rinse. Could be the coating on non organic apples giving you the problem. I do that as I don't want to eat pesticides.
No I haven't but will give it a try. Thanks.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Hi

A simple fact of life.

Here in the Uk we sell more organic food than we produce or import.

Organic is simply not feasable for small producers, the registration fees are too high.

Around here we have Slow Food, small holders, no chemicals, everything free range.

Lovely stuff and not pricey at all.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 06:18 PM

I don't eat meat or chicken bacon ham etc but do have milk cheese - oh no eggs stopped as a child they made me sick.

I threw sugar away and biscuits and haven't bought any since.Ive lost a stone and now eat more savoury and veg etc - sometimes though I do get a couple of cakes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top