Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Gmail Problems

Hi

I have been with Gmail many years

I have other emails, but my Gmail address is restricted to those I know.

I do not give it out freely.

I have a problem with it which has been going on for some weeks now.

Someone else has apparently got the same Gmail account as I have.

I have complained to Gmail, but to no effect.

I get emails meant for him.

He has the same name as myself.

I now know his name, his post code, well the last 3 letters of it, he lives in York.

I know his shopping habits, I get receipts for his purchases, including the last numbers of his Credit Card.

He was in Milton Keynes on Sunday, buying presents for his girlfriend,unless he is a cross dresser.

I have now received emails asking to reset his password for Amazon and his Bank Accounts, he has two, Halifax and HSBC.

Any ideas about how I go about resolving this?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:07 AM

Re: Gmail Problems

So I assume that means he is getting your mail as well, Swim?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Gosh Swimmy I wouldn't like that.

I would be tempted to close my account and start a different one.
I had to do this last year when BT closed all the Freeserve accounts and informing people of the change wasn't as complicated as I imagined it would be.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I had to do this last year when BT closed all the Freeserve accounts and informing people of the change wasn't as complicated as I imagined it would be.

I agree Meg. In fact, I would have done it before now.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:26 AM

...How can two people have the same gmail address... It can not happen because Gmail will not allow it.

If I had your email address I could use it to sign up to services.
This does not mean that I have the same address as you and this is what is happening.

Fortunately Google does not allow duplicate accounts to be created, so there are not two accounts with the same name and no one is getting e-mail that hasn't been sent specifically to their account. More specifically, no one else is getting your e-mail because no one else has your e-mail address.

That said… There is nothing to prevent people from using the wrong address when registering on a web-site, or giving out the wrong address as their own to others. This means that e-mail sent to that address would go to someone else (the actual owners of that e-mail address). E-mail you receive that was intended for someone else does not mean there is a duplicate account, merely that it was sent to the wrong person.

Just to clarify, you are not receiving e-mail addressed to someone else, you are receiving e-mail intended for someone else but miss-addressed to you.

hmm Maybe they dont know something that you know
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:50 AM

I had this problem with BT. My e mail addy was nearly the same as somebody elses, the difference was one letter.

Although the other person was giving out the correct address her contacts were reading it incorrectly and I was getting her mail, in fact I still get some of her junk mail.

The way I solved it was I replied to one of the stray e mails and asked that person to contact the intended recipient, give her my email address so we could solve the issue between us.

Once I had her e mail address I used to just forward anything to her that wasn't mine.

The issue persisted until she left BT.

But this would be no use if it's business e mails that are being mis-delivered.

As others have said, I would change the account.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Blimey that's horrendous isn't it. It's just as well you are an honest person imagine if someone less honest had all that info.

If for some reason you really want to keep the addy I would let the other person know if you can and give them the opportunity of deleting their account otherwise I would get a new account.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 11:47 AM

People have covered the points, I doubt it is exactly the same account name as yours but similar and perhaps he is giving out the wrong address by mistake. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't have accounts with the same companies as he uses you can black list them on your Gmail account so they never show up at all

If you are worried by it then as a precaution change your password, if you are really worried by it abandon your account and create a new one - easy enough especially if you haven't shared the address with many people.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

That's what I'd do too. Close your account down & create another - maybe the same but with a number added on.

It's so easy to create a Gmail account - it's not worth the fuss of bothering with the old one.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 12:41 PM

Hi

He spent £100 at Hawes & Curtis Milton Keynes
on Saturday.

I was nowhere near Milton Keynes. I was at home.

He does not pay off his Credit Cards. I do, each and every month, in full.

I owe nobody anything, he does.

It annoys me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top