Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 03:47 PM

Smoke Alarm Problem

Not a happy bunny. Smoke alarm started squeaking this morning. Been and bought a new battery and put it in (not the easiest job in the world for me) and it's still squeaking! Does this mean it needs replacing?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 03:49 PM

Re: Smoke Alarm Problem

I should think our Judsy is the man to answer this Sue, he'll be here in a minute.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 03:59 PM

All smoke alarms should be wired to the mains with a battery backup.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Smoke alarms do run out. Ours did, and made the squeaking noise.

Get another. They don't cost and arm and a leg. Perhaps just a finger.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 06:01 PM

My smoke alarms are wired into the mains and a few weeks ago and the bedroom one went off. Could not find a reason why.
The one in the hall goes off if I don't close the bathroom door when the showers running.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
All smoke alarms should be wired to the mains with a battery backup.
A fire service man came out to change my battery which isn't wired to the mains . He didn't say said it should be.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
A fire service man came out to change my battery which isn't wired to the mains . He didn't say said it should be.
Ah, that's cos your a woman!
I don't think a friendly fireman would come out to change my battery!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Not a happy bunny. Smoke alarm started squeaking this morning. Been and bought a new battery and put it in (not the easiest job in the world for me) and it's still squeaking! Does this mean it needs replacing?
Often you will have more smoke alarm and they will be connected. If so, change the battery in both.

Does your house have a general house alarm?

If so, I wouldn't get too worried about the smoke alarm battery. Mine ran out ages ago and I haven't replaced them.
The smoke alarm works perfectly from the mains.

If the mains should go off (power cut etc) then the house alarm instantly goes off as it assumes there's been a tamper of some kind so we'd be woken up instantly.

If the is a power cut, I know to be wary that the smoke alarms will be inactive for the duration.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 09:28 PM

Confession time - I changed the battery in the downstairs smoke alarm but realised about an hour later when I went upstairs that it was that one that was squeaking! I'm afraid both my alarms are battery operated not wired into the mains, so it is important that they are working!

Does help when you change the battery in the right alarm doesn't it?

Thank you for the comments.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Confession time - I changed the battery in the downstairs smoke alarm but realised about an hour later when I went upstairs that it was that one that was squeaking! I'm afraid both my alarms are battery operated not wired into the mains, so it is important that they are working!

Does help when you change the battery in the right alarm doesn't it?

Thank you for the comments.

Haha, sort of thing I'd do Sue. Glad you've sussed it now anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top