Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 09:22 PM

Re: The real cause of depression

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I do wonder how much mental problems are created by drug use. But it's not something people want to consider.
It is considered that when there is an underlying inherited risk then drugs can cause schizophrenia. This is one of the reasons they don't want to legalise marijuana. But then LSD has been put forward as a potential cure for depression.

At the end of the day anti depressants and anti psychotics are drugs too.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It is considered that when there is an underlying inherited risk then drugs can cause schizophrenia. This is one of the reasons they don't want to legalise marijuana. But then LSD has been put forward as a potential cure for depression.

At the end of the day anti depressants and anti psychotics are drugs too.
I'd go one further. They are drugs: EVEN BEFORE THE DAY STARTS.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Oh dear anti depressants are drugs well whaddya know .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I'd go one further. They are drugs: EVEN BEFORE THE DAY STARTS.
Experts know of the link between mental illness and drug use. But it's not depression it's linked to but psychosis.

But psychosis often runs in families which ties back to my physiological cause. Some people are born with a risk and small problems in life that others have no problem with can tip them over into psychosis or depression. It's like having weak knees or a heart condition. You are more vulnerable.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 03:26 PM

Just been reading these threads and noting some illuminating replies.

I do find that when I am very busy, right on the edge and coping with the exigencies that I don't have time for depression; I guess that's resilience although I did have a dark period last Autumn. I believe illnesses like depression and anxiety can cause physical problems later on, in my own case some months later.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Just been reading these threads and noting some illuminating replies.

I do find that when I am very busy, right on the edge and coping with the exigencies that I don't have time for depression; I guess that's resilience although I did have a dark period last Autumn. I believe illnesses like depression and anxiety can cause physical problems later on, in my own case some months later.

Absolutely agree with that.
I also firmly believe depression, prolongued grieving, and long term stress can cause some cancers. I believe it makes chemical changes in our body.

I am talkinmg about long term depression and anxiety, not a short burst of fear or anxiousness.

Experts even say that short bursts of stress can even be beneficial, it is the long term stuff that does the harm, although it can take a long while to manifest - sometimes a couple of years even.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Well they used to say heart attacks were from anger expressed outwards and cancer from anger expressed inwards. I can understand the link with heart attacks but not cancer. I think you can get just as many heart problems from sadness as from anger. That saying about dying from a broken heart is so true.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
It must be doubly difficult if you are alone.
That's were the Internet can help, it's not as good as having someone to hold your hand. But for those that are on their own, it gives you contact with the real world, and the chance to talk to others who have the same problems as you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You don't give yourself depression, it just happens. I believe it's a physical weakness in the brain just like some have a weakness in the heart or digestive system or circulation. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We have to work with the cards life deals us.

Manic depression for example is not something anyone causes for themselves by their lack of self worth. It's something that happens and defines the individual without any ability to control it.

All I can say is "What a load of rubbish". So obvious that you have never had depression . it is circumstances outside ones control that puts umbearable mental strain on a person. I did even consider at one stage ending it all it was that bad
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Depression is often endogenous which means it just happens. No outside input at all.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top