Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Re: Children cleaning Schools

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
So far as cleaning the school at the age of 4/5 yrs goes.. personally I think that's bordering cruelty , they're still babies !
Maybe they begin school at a later age in Poland, like so many other countries do.
At home mine start much younger than that, they love a go with the Hoover boys and girls at very young age, long handled Flicky duster a great game to do the dusting, I think they were about two when that was popular.

Wiping down a table isn't cruel it's a teaching them and a game to them.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
That to me smacks of poor teaching in schools. if the teachers got their subject over to the children properly to understand then there is no need for much homework.

Like everything nowadays standards have slipped so far they are impossible to get back
It is not the fault of the teachers, but the Government who are imposing more and more tests, which the kids have to pass with good grades, otherwise it reflects badly on the schools. My husband, who was a secondary school head teacher, before retiring in 2004, says they whole education system has been on the skids since that idiot, Gove, was Secretary of State for education.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
At home mine start much younger than that, they love a go with the Hoover boys and girls at very young age, long handled Flicky duster a great game to do the dusting, I think they were about two when that was popular.

Wiping down a table isn't cruel it's a teaching them and a game to them.
Agreed, they all like to do it at home, and that should be enough for ones so young. The front room is very much different than a classroom. They can tidy their bedrooms etc. put things back where they got them from.
In school, if they don't do it properly, do they get into trouble ? Make them nervous before they even know what causes the feelings of a churned up stomach.
It would be interesting to know what is meant by 'cleaning'. Is that mopping, wiping , brushing, or just tidying up after themselves ?
Children used to go up chimneys too, that was abolished a long time ago.
Tidying up, yes but I don't believe children should be cleaning in such a dusty environment at such an early age. The schools won't have child size brushes and dustpans, allergy free cleaning products or gloves to fit tiny hands ... will they ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Agreed, they all like to do it at home, and that should be enough for ones so young. The front room is very much different than a classroom. They can tidy their bedrooms etc. put things back where they got them from.
In school, if they don't do it properly, do they get into trouble ? Make them nervous before they even know what causes the feelings of a churned up stomach.
It would be interesting to know what is meant by 'cleaning'. Is that mopping, wiping , brushing, or just tidying up after themselves ?
Tidying up, yes but I don't believe children should be cleaning in such a dusty environment at such an early age. The schools won't have child size brushes and dustpans, allergy free cleaning products or gloves to fit tiny hands ... will they ?
I have no objection to kids tidying their desks, but cleaning is what the school cleaners get paid to do.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:41 PM

I can only speak for my experiences I don't know how national it is, the kids are given a cloth and they dampen it or the teacher helps them squeeze it out, no product only water. They don't need gloves as they are only using water. They put everything away again with teachers help, but it becomes quite relaxed and almost second nature. I've not seen any kids have problems doing it other than the little boy that is exhibiting IMO signs of ocd and that's another thread really.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have no objection to kids tidying their desks, but cleaning is what the school cleaners get paid to do.
Only toilets and walls and floors you need to increase hours and pay to get them doing all the desks too.

When I was cleaning schools it was pretty badly paid work with not enough hours to do a great job.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Kids cleaning schools ... been there, done that.
Didn't harm me though I did get fed up of school by age 14 and stopped going.

My mum was a school cleaner and been a lone parent she used to take me with her. Aged 9. I used to put all the chairs on the desks and mops all the classroom floors then go and dust and hoover the staffroom whilst she did the loos and all the corridors and cloakrooms We had a good system going between us.
Wherever my mum worked she took me with her if she could.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-02-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Kids cleaning schools ... been there, done that.
Didn't harm me though I did get fed up of school by age 14 and stopped going.

My mum was a school cleaner and been a lone parent she used to take me with her. Aged 9. I used to put all the chairs on the desks and mops all the classroom floors then go and dust and hoover the staffroom whilst she did the loos and all the corridors and cloakrooms We had a good system going between us.
Wherever my mum worked she took me with her if she could.
Are you my long lost sister ? I started early with my mum too, never did me any harm either, I was bin emptier and mopper, we could get through the work so fast she was able to take on two more jobs.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:59 PM

Same here ... when mum got a job at the local launderette I used to work there too, a bit older at 12. I used to do the dry cleaning and scrub the solvent stain removers on ... clean all the washers after the customers and crawl along the ledge at the back of them to clean it ... fill the soap machines and earn the odd 5p from a customer who paid me to dry and fold their washing so they could go off shopping.
By the time I started work I thought ... thank god! A decent wage at last.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-02-2018, 02:14 PM

My mum used to make me a little wage packet up each week, I loved earning my own money from a young age. I started a full time job at 15 loved having a bigger wage packet that hadn't come out of anyone else's.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top