Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 01:25 PM

Re: Finding a new job in your 50s

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well, I wouldn't bother applying for any Labour party jobs if I was him.
I've only just about stopped laughing at the idea of my rather Tory husband working for Labour Party, it's as likely as me working for the tories cheered me up though it really did.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And do what ? Self employment fine if you have a business idea but not if you haven't IMO
Start with something very simple.

For example, there are some round here who visit the Charity shops buying up items to sell on Ebay.

One has built it into a big used Crockery business, on line, and sells items, like Hornsea Pottery, he started on his own but gradually the Charity people have caught on and employ him to do it on their behalf.

There are lots of low cost ideas.

Look at Clothes, on Ebay, and notice how many people are in the business of selling it all on.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Problem is they are running down the company we believe, it was a family firm bought out by investors, they are making life hard for everyone and as people leave they don't get replaced, it's sad to see the company go down like this but apparently they are trying to make it run at a loss for some reason.
It may be worth your hubby hanging in there Julie, if he’s been there a few years he may be due a good redundancy package if the company folds.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
It may be worth your hubby hanging in there Julie, if he’s been there a few years he may be due a good redundancy package if the company folds.
Yes good point, if he can I am hoping he can, it's not good for his aspergers any sort of change. Two blokes there already left due to mental health issues with the way this woman is running things. Doesn't bode well.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Is it even possible ?

My husband has been at same company for years loved his job, still does but new manager making his life miserable.

So he wants to leave.

But looking around only briefly it's not going to be easy getting another one at his age 58. Especially as he's a manual worker with health problems.

So why is it we are told we are living longer, retirement being made later but employers don't want us ?
It's becoming the normal way of life in some companies.

We could almost start a full new topic on the way Companies attempt to get people out.

The story is often the same:-
1) New Manager comes in
2) New Manager starts to make people of a certain age feel unhappy and worried.
3) Those people often quit.

Why do Companies do this?

They can take a whole different hit on their payouts if you quit.

Depending on how the Company does it, you might not fire up a tribunal Case.

What should a worried employee do?

1) Make sure you have a copy of your Job Description & Terms of Agreement. (Lots of Companies leave themselves wide open by not having signed versions).

2) If they say you're not doing your job properly ,make sure that you have copies of what they say to compare with those documents above.

3) Never just quit. Always ask what's on offer should you be thinking about leaving - they'll usually make an offer.if you do this.

4) Always hint that you're getting your solicitor/union to look over what's. going on.

5) Beware of accepting a gagging order in response to being pushed out.

Rant over.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Start with something very simple.

For example, there are some round here who visit the Charity shops buying up items to sell on Ebay.

One has built it into a big used Crockery business, on line, and sells items, like Hornsea Pottery, he started on his own but gradually the Charity people have caught on and employ him to do it on their behalf.

There are lots of low cost ideas.

Look at Clothes, on Ebay, and notice how many people are in the business of selling it all on.
I'll mention that but I'm not sure how it would suit him, he's a very happy man if he is employed and doing same job day after day, not so good winging it.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 03:37 PM

I too was coming back to suggest self employment

You already have a background of cleaning, with the two of you, you could expand, take on private homes AND contract cleaning

There's loads of small one man band outfits out there who need a contract clean now and again, not enough for the big firms to want to do

Add to that gutter/patio cleaning, dog walking, you could feasibly be earning enough within a year to support two wages

There are plenty of single home dwellers out there who don't have the time to keep up with those sort of jobs but would be willing to pay someone trustworthy and reliable to do them

When DH has been out of work, he's done the same, even washed cars to bring in the money
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Our neighbours are retired police detectives, they take in dogs when people are on holiday, £25 per day, and walk others. They are kept busy.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 03:52 PM

I worked for the same company from 1956 until 1983. i had similar problems as Julie Husband and took the plunge, handed my notice in and left . I wish then there had been things as constructive dismissal, I could have got that , but leaving i stupidly thought I could get another job easily , I was 44, no trouble HA HA. I had only been with one firm ,never applied for a Job , never had an interview, and what was a C V. ? I had no idea where to start. I did with luck meet somebody I knew that wanted a guy to fill cig. machines LOL .
That job lasted 9 years then I was redundant.
I had some basic D I Y skills, I could paint and wallpaper, so i tried on my own just doing work for pensioners , within 12 months i could have worked 7 days a week if i had wanted. I decorated , I planned gardens and did them - I only gave that up when we moved to Norway .

So it is possible to change , but you do need a bit of luck and be prepared to have a go at anything
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-02-2018, 04:06 PM

I'll mention all this to him, picking my moments though as he's really down at the moment.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top