Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 05:05 PM

Re: Finding a new job in your 50s

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'll mention all this to him, picking my moments though as he's really down at the moment.
Can understand that Julie, It really gets to you when you have been employed in same job for a long time and then you suddenly realise that you are easily expendable, and al, you have done counts for nothing. I t does drag you down,
IF !! he takes the plunge, try and work it so that it suits him , I E . make sure you work your notice ,check how much paid holiday you have left and ensure that you know what you are going to get when you leave , if not sure go to Citizens Advice, get your facts right before you leave dont aim for the sky when looking for another job, you are one amongst many, think of what life you would like STRESS FREE!! or still in there with the crowd
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 05:07 PM

He's quite determined today to stay on until he's had his latest leg operation hopefully in March. They pay full pay for his grade for sickness so he will get three weeks out of them. It's a bit shocking hearing that from him he's usually going back long before he's ready so he doesn't let them down.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
He's quite determined today to stay on until he's had his latest leg operation hopefully in March. They pay full pay for his grade for sickness so he will get three weeks out of them. It's a bit shocking hearing that from him he's usually going back long before he's ready so he doesn't let them down.

Good for him , try not to be beaten, go on your terms and when you fell it is right . I just jumped, which ok at the time felt great, but may not have been the best decision .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Whatever he does, he doesn't quit. Even if he feels he can't face going back, get him signed off by the GP and send notes in. Whilst he's off sick he's still accruing holiday pay.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:00 PM

Julie I can empathise with you, as I am in a not too different situation, in 2015 we were sold to a company that, quite frankly would have been the last company on earth I would want to work for, a few were made redundant some left, I was more or less guaranteed a job because I have a gas qualification, and none of the other engineers in my area had, bugger, I so wanted the 17 grand that my mate got, but hey ho, the job is tolerable, but I want to leave and do something different, not bothered about the money, house paid off and all that, I will probably end up walking and I’m sure I’d find something, I too am ( or nearly) the same age as your hubby, he too would, I’m sure be able to find other employment, has he any basic diy skills,? maybe he could find a handyman or maintenance role in a local nursing home?, caretaker at a school, perhaps, one of my ex colleagues found a job aged 67, there’s always something..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:42 PM

As another poster has stated, this is about trying to get someone to quit rather than have to make him redundant and pay him out the redundancy money he would be due.

Do not quit.

Absolutely do not quit.

Companies try to manage older people out because:

1. They know the score too well
2. They can not be duped
3. They can not be manipulated
4. They aren't responsive to bullying and conditioning
5. They cost a fortune to make redundant

Log and record everything.

Buy a simple discrete recording device and record conversations. Forward copies of all your company emails to your own private email so that if they push you out you sill have copies.

Make sure you have a copy of the company Grievance procedure and make sure you follow it if you have a grievance against this manager.

If there is a union, join it and/or ask their advice. They can get a case going.

Do not quit. Do not waste all those years of service. You are rightfully due decent redundancy payout.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:55 PM

Quitting and you get nothing, take E V R if offered I did and don 't regret it one bit. In fact the best move I ever made work wise. Some time ago I went on about Skyvac for cleaning roof gutters. i have since talked to several window cleaners around here and not one had heard of it. My bet is there is a huge opening for their products, not just for gutters but also for vacuuming high up places ,such a in factories, where dirt and dust is never removed.

see bottom of link ( only one happy customer here no commercial interest)

https://skyvac.com/uk/
Norway
i

14-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Julie I can empathise with you, as I am in a not too different situation, in 2015 we were sold to a company that, quite frankly would have been the last company on earth I would want to work for, a few were made redundant some left, I was more or less guaranteed a job because I have a gas qualification, and none of the other engineers in my area had, bugger, I so wanted the 17 grand that my mate got, but hey ho, the job is tolerable, but I want to leave and do something different, not bothered about the money, house paid off and all that, I will probably end up walking and I’m sure I’d find something, I too am ( or nearly) the same age as your hubby, he too would, I’m sure be able to find other employment, has he any basic diy skills,? maybe he could find a handyman or maintenance role in a local nursing home?, caretaker at a school, perhaps, one of my ex colleagues found a job aged 67, there’s always something..
I went on my own at 58, and OK the money was not Vital, my wife had her teachers pension. I only wish i had made the jump 10 years sooner.It was great working for my self , i just had to watch i didnt get carried away with it, and I only did work for pensioners and by word of mouth
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:24 PM

The State government closed a power station I worked at in the 1980s so I had to change jobs in my late 40s at an age when it is much harder to find new employment. Everyone was offered voluntary redundancy - it allowed me to pay off my house and build an extension. Fortunately I had boiler and first class steam engine driver's licences so I actually had companies ring me offering jobs.

Unfortunately people from the same work place who were labourers or only had more easily obtained licences were less able to cope and there were a couple of suicides.

Once you are over 45 it seems getting new regular employment is largely the luck of the draw unless you have skills that are in demand.

One major flaw in my British education (second rate Grammar School 1950s to early 60s) is that it raised me to be an academic or an employee without even the notion of entrepreneurship - absolutely no suggestion of starting your own business. It was only when I came to Australia did such an idea become an obvious reality. I am sure that has changed.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Whatever he does, he doesn't quit. Even if he feels he can't face going back, get him signed off by the GP and send notes in. Whilst he's off sick he's still accruing holiday pay.
And, if he quits his benefits won't be paid for a long time.

I think that's correct.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top