Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:21 PM

Re: Mad Scientists at it again

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Well if are all going to forced to be meat free, then maybe the sheep will still have a role, I don’t like the idea or the picture I see in my mind, but if it saves a child, or the life of another, then regrettably I am for it.
And the wool will come in handy as well....Just think.....A child that can grow its own jumper.....Think of the money that will save....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:33 PM

There is a cruel, painful, inhumane world that exists behind closed doors that is forever using dying children as a justification. I had an extrarordinarily sick child, and I am angered that some of the medications she needed were first tested on animals - that didn't need to be.

We can't use what we choose not to explore. There are other options besides using animals.

We used to think that the only way to pursue stem cell treatment was to use those the pluripotent cells from embryos. When the public expressed everything from to concern to outrage over the practice, scientists innovatively came up with methods to harvest and use patient-generated stem cells.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:56 PM

Assuming you had a young child who needed an organ to live, you would turn down the opportunity to have one from a donor animal?
I am an animal if one of my organs was good enough to save one of those I loved then I would give it freely, I know the donor animals have no choice and I would hate to see how it is carried out. If I did I think my mind would change. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 11:38 PM

If this succeeds, they will go on to using more and more animals, of more different species.
Eventually they could be using cows, horses, goats .... even our dogs.

If one day they have sufficient organs and no transplant patients waiting, I daresay by then, they will have found a way of pickling or freezing the surplus, or even flogging them to other nations.
Yes, it may save a life, but at the expense of another life.
And what kind of life with these creatures live until their demise comes along?

At least free range cattle/poultry/waterfowl etc have a short time living happily before they meet their maker, but I imagine these experimental animals will never see sunshine, or breathe fresh air, not even for a short time.

And aren't the government always complaining about us oldies living too long and us costing them too much in healthcare and pensions?
Yet it's the scientists who keep preserving life even longer.
Maybe one day, no one will ever need to die. Then what?

I can visualise all this going too far.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:26 AM

They do use dogs , Mups

They have been using pigs and others for a long time no. The worst I've set eyes on is the transplant of a dogs head onto another dog .
These are the experiments they do all the time. I find it abhorrent whether they be dog, cat, pig, sheep , cow or monkey. They use them all.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:30 AM

Puddles, that is so sickening I agree.

As I said earlier though, this seems to be slightly different in that they are making the animals actually grow human organs from human stem cells - not their own natural animal organs even.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:35 AM

There was a case a number of years ago of a rat with a human ear growing out of it's back. Made somehow from cow cartilage.

What goes on in laboratories is despicable and ugly. No compassion to the animals, and in isolated cages for some up to 40 yrs. It's only when people can get undercover footage that these things are known about and that's being made harder all the time.
Ignorance is bliss, but it doesn't stop it happening, and on a massive scale !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-02-2018, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
There was a case a number of years ago of a rat with a human ear growing out of it's back. Made somehow from cow cartilage.

What goes on in laboratories is despicable and ugly. No compassion to the animals, and in isolated cages for some up to 40 yrs. It's only when people can get undercover footage that these things are known about and that's being made harder all the time.
Ignorance is bliss, but it doesn't stop it happening, and on a massive scale !

I agree. It's probably best we don't know the half.

I do remember years ago about a goat with udders grafted onto it's neck for some reason too.

I can't help but wonder about the people's inner mind and personality who can torture creatures daily for a job.

I'd be frightened to turn me back on them if I was married to one!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
There is a cruel, painful, inhumane world that exists behind closed doors that is forever using dying children as a justification. I had an extrarordinarily sick child, and I am angered that some of the medications she needed were first tested on animals - that didn't need to be.

We can't use what we choose not to explore. There are other options besides using animals.

We used to think that the only way to pursue stem cell treatment was to use those the pluripotent cells from embryos. When the public expressed everything from to concern to outrage over the practice, scientists innovatively came up with methods to harvest and use patient-generated stem cells.
If a million animals have to die to save the life of one child, I have no problem with that at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:41 AM

I have big problems with this, pigs have been used for a long time. They often don't offer any alternative treatment if you don't want to contribute to the cruelty so you are left with a choice of accept it or die.

I'm pretty sure they'll go too far one day and live to regret it.

Did anyone watch sapphire and steel sci if back on the 70s they had a terrifying scenario in one episode that we seem today to be hurtling towards !

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top