Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Re: Keeping harnesses on all day

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I know many huskies and malamutes wear a harness and I can appreciate they need to pull into a harness when working. I think a harness encourages pulling, but maybe people believe it is kinder to use harness. There are certainly a lot of the smaller dogs who have them but I know they can easily cause matts and tangles on the longer coated dogs. If not carefully fitted a harness can easily chaff and cause soreness. Minimum use of a collar and lead is what I tend to favour - a cotton, braided gundog slip lead is ideal for my dogs - a golden retriever and a cockapoo. Both have been taught to walk properly on lead from being pups, which makes my life easy.

I agree about it encourages pulling. They can pull in comfort then, and put their whole chest into it without choking too.
I appreciate what you say about the sled dogs, but that's a different kettle of fish.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Thanks Aerolor, of course dogs used for pulling require a harness. As for the remainder, my belief is that a harness is a poor substitute for teaching a dog properly what is required.

My powerful dogs use a light collar and lead, my rules are, You don't pull me, and I won't pull you. I use a lead to keep you safe, when I do, you will walk by my side. Should you ever deem to walk in front, we stand still until you shuffle into position.....Simples

At what stage do they need a harness ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:41 PM

But doesn't that make it uncomfortable for the person on the other end of the lead when they pull Mups? With two (one large and one smaller) mine have to know how to walk together without one or both pulling and at my speed. They go off lead as soon as practical but I like to keep them close and aware of me and what I want of them when they are on lead. This way they don't bother anyone else on the pavements. We are all different, I suppose, and do what we think is best for our dogs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:50 PM

"At what stage do they need a harness ?"

A guide dog would need a harness, Boxer, but they are trained into them and, of course, it is specific training for the job they do. Beforehand, however, they are trained how to walk nicely wearing a collar and lead, usually to the left hand side of their owner, as other dogs generally are.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:55 PM

The kind of harness I use on Chloe is really easy to get on and off, it just sips over the head, then you fasten a buckle ...

I wouldn't want to be pulled around by my neck so I don't see why a dog would either..

....and no I would't leave it on all day...
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I wouldn't want to be pulled around by my neck so I don't see why a dog would either..
Hello !!!! who said anything about pulling a dog around by it's neck. The plot thickens
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Tell your friend to teach her dogs to stand still and there is an easy way .
Invest in some of these little cocktail sausages to use as treats ( cut them into three ) dogs will do anything for them !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Hello !!!! who said anything about pulling a dog around by it's neck. The plot thickens
....no one did BB
..yet..
Just saying why I like a harness
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

23-02-2018, 03:16 PM

A walk is a two way thing in my view. I don't pull my dog around and neither does my dog pull me around. A walk is a mutually beneficial event to be enjoyed by all parties IMO. One of the nicest things, I think, is to have a dog walking happily by your side without pulling.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK

23-02-2018, 03:28 PM

And then of course there is The Extending Lead, another invention of the devil that should be consigned to the doggie dungeon for eternity.

You have control, but you haven't, a totally useless piece of kit designed to undermine dog/owner relationships.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top