Join for free
Page 5 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 06:31 PM

Re: Chemotherapy

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I don’t think I shall ever have long hair again Twink, and I doubt whether I shall colour it again. It’s just that I can’t do anything with it, it just stands up on end!
Give it a little time! It won't be feeling good after the chemo but you may be surprised how much better it becomes when you have managed to get all the poison out of your system.
I was completely bald through Sept to Jan ( the good part about that is I didn't have to think about washing my hair ) but by March my hair looked and felt fabulous!
Sometimes the Macmillan nurses can offer great advice on silly things like getting your hair back to good condition after chemo.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 07:08 PM

I haven't lost any hair yet, but I shaved my head to stubble some time ago and I was used to getting frequent buzzcuts. Now I've noticed that it's not growing in again, it seems to have stopped.

If it stays the same and means I have to shave less often then I'll be happy.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Give it a little time! It won't be feeling good after the chemo but you may be surprised how much better it becomes when you have managed to get all the poison out of your system.
I was completely bald through Sept to Jan ( the good part about that is I didn't have to think about washing my hair ) but by March my hair looked and felt fabulous!
Sometimes the Macmillan nurses can offer great advice on silly things like getting your hair back to good condition after chemo.
I guess I’m being a bit impatient Twink and annoyed with my hairdresser for cutting it too short!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I haven't lost any hair yet, but I shaved my head to stubble some time ago and I was used to getting frequent buzzcuts. Now I've noticed that it's not growing in again, it seems to have stopped.

If it stays the same and means I have to shave less often then I'll be happy.
Not so bad for a fella to be bald, of course, Ffosse but can be quite devastating for a woman to lose her crowning glory! Fortunately I had a lot of hair and could afford to lose some!

I think my hair is growing but much slower than usual. Yours will grow back when the chemo finishes. In the meantime enjoy not having to shave every day!
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 08:25 PM

I was having chemo regularly,I found it OK as I was on my own I would sit in a recliner chair with my feet up and doze or read,sandwiches /cake and drinks were brought round,many patients had someone with them.I didnt have a hickmans line so cant comment.I felt a bit tired as it was a long day.I had transport and it often took a long time for it to arrive to bring me home,I have not had any for a few weeks as I have not been well with breathing problems and my growth is stable at the moment, but I am still having regular check ups at the Hospital.
Could you get transport there and back? Ask at the hospital or maybe your G.P can arrange it
Val J
East Yorkshire

03-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I was having chemo regularly,I found it OK as I was on my own I would sit in a recliner chair with my feet up and doze or read,sandwiches /cake and drinks were brought round,many patients had someone with them.I didnt have a hickmans line so cant comment.I felt a bit tired as it was a long day.I had transport and it often took a long time for it to arrive to bring me home,I have not had any for a few weeks as I have not been well with breathing problems and my growth is stable at the moment, but I am still having regular check ups at the Hospital.
Could you get transport there and back? Ask at the hospital or maybe your G.P can arrange it
It is a long day for me too Deylon but as you say they offer drinks, lunch, even sometimes chocolates! I do have company as my husband comes with me and we have our own transport.

Have you thought about asking for transport to and from your appointments Ffosse?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 10:09 AM

No, I just get a taxi - It's about £7.60 there.
Val J
East Yorkshire

04-05-2018, 10:43 AM

No, I just get a taxi - It's about £7.60 there.
I guess it’s worth it because you can sometimes wait a long time for hospital transport.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

04-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Not so bad for a fella to be bald, of course, Ffosse but can be quite devastating for a woman to lose her crowning glory! Fortunately I had a lot of hair and could afford to lose some!

I think my hair is growing but much slower than usual. Yours will grow back when the chemo finishes. In the meantime enjoy not having to shave every day!
Mine hasn't fallen out; I just shaved my head but there are no bald patches.
Val J
East Yorkshire

04-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Mine hasn't fallen out; I just shaved my head but there are no bald patches.
I think it depends on the chemo Ffosse, from what I have read, women who have chemo for breast cancer stand a great risk of losing all their hair. I’ve no bald patches either but I don’t like my new crew cut! Do you like your shaved head or do you regret shaving it?

Page 5 of 21 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top