Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 10:31 PM

Capital Gains Tax

Sold a flat end of last year, and as it was not our primary residence, CGT looms up. Seems rather unintelligible, trying to read the official handbook. Anyone been through the mill?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Re: Capital Gains Tax

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Sold a flat end of last year, and as it was not our primary residence, CGT looms up. Seems rather unintelligible, trying to read the official handbook. Anyone been through the mill?
No, Dobra but funnily enough this morning I was looking at something to do with Investments and I noticed it said £11,000 CGT is exempt so I'm assuming that it's "up to" that figure.

I could be wrong here but I also thought it said the rate is 10% thereafter too.

Sorry, perhaps I should stick to what I DO know about but I thought it might help! stevmk2
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 01:58 PM

If your profit on disposal is over £11K then you pay tax on anything over that amount. If you first bought the property prior to 1982, you use the market value in 1982 to assess the profit on sale.
The amount of tax you pay depends on your current income and if you're a lower or higher rate tax payer.......so either 18 or 28%.
You can deduct solicitors and agents fees and all costs for improvement.
Note: I thought there was a weighting allowance - am sure there used to be, but maybe that's now been scrapped???

If the worse comes to the worse, see if there's anything else you'd like to sell on which you'd make a loss within the same tax year!
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Try these links there are a few online calculators that could be of help to you.

http://www.uktaxcalculators.co.uk/ca...calculator.php

http://www.invidion.co.uk/cgt/index..../css/tools.css
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Thank you both, will investigate further.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

30-10-2015, 10:33 PM

Still haven't finalised calculations. Must crack the whip....
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 01:32 AM

My Mum had to do this when a formerly Let property was sold and it was very complicated and seemed a matter for the professionals, We were both away from the area as well. There is an issue of value at time of purchase which since ours had been inheritited years ago needed some sort of Registers of values looking up. We just left it to the professionals, our local Agents and Solicitors, but probably did not get best possible price, and Mum did have to pay some Capital Gains Tax.
William00
New Member!
London
William00 is male 

06-12-2017, 07:56 PM

As mentioned if your profits are £11k plus, you pay tax on anything over that amount. I'd give this site a go if I were you it's useful for tax calculations and you should be able to work out if you must pay tax on your CGT.

https://www.income-tax.co.uk/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 08:13 PM

One way around it is to make it you main residence for a time, then selling it avoids CGT, you would though have to prove it was your main residence with bills/ bank details etc transferred to the address.

So if you sold your present home and move to the flat no tax after a year sell the flat and move and no CGT, or that is how I understand it.

The selling of both eventually may be more that CGT ?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 10:10 PM

In 2013 when l sold a second home that l owned and was liable to Capital Gains Tax, l went to an Accountant.
I paid a £350 fee and l didn’t have to pay as much as l thought l would.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top