Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 05:19 PM

Re: Horizon - Why We Are Fat

I agree and disagree all at the same time. I think there is more to calories in calories out (although that defies the laws of physics) I think there is might be more going on and it is very unique to each and every one of us.

We are as a nation more fatter than 20-30 years (me included) I think that is because firstly we're more affluent but also wherever we go there's an abundance of food available really quite cheaply. And yet there are those that remain stubbornly normal weight despite the availability of food and that must be to do with attitude.

I wonder sometimes if we aren't just going through an evolutionary shift and fat will become the new norm. I hope so anyway.

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Agreed. When I was at my highest weight, there was only one reason for it... I ate too much, regardless of what it was. When I started eating less - again, regardless of what I was eating - I lost weight.

It's not rocket science. I get why they're trying to find this reason and that reason behind it, but it really does boil down to one simple thing -- if you eat more calories than your body needs, you're going to gain weight. If you eat just enough calories, you'll maintain. If you eat fewer calories than your body needs, you'll lose.

You can get fat eating nothing but vegetables or lose weight eating nothing but chocolate bars.

It's like all the people blaming McDonald's, as an example, for making them fat. McDonald's didn't make you fat... YOU made you fat. Nobody put a gun to your head and made you eat 10 Big Macs in a week's time. It's all about personal responsibility and people these days want to blame everyone but themselves.

If you don't eat enough, however, your body will tend to hang onto whatever you take in to preserve it if your body thinks it's going through a famine. But in the end - and eventually - your body will have no choice but to use your current resources for energy.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Everyone is different...except in one aspect and that aspect is EATING.
Fat people eat too much, whether through gluttony or through not fully understanding their own metabolism.
Argue as you will against the true facts of the situation, but you will not change it....it you are overweight then cut down on your food intake, and stop making excuses for your fatness.
There are inaccuracies in this stream of thought Malcolm and those inaccuracies explain why so many people remain fat despite trying not to be.

As humans we do not eat according to calorie calculations. We don't start out the day thinking "I have a 2500 calorie allowance today and will need to tick off everything I eat as I go"

Humans have lived successfully for thousands of years and no-one ever had any written guideline as to how much food was too little, too much or just right.

So how do we carry on?

We simply eat when we feel that we want to eat. We don't eat when we don't feel hungry. It's that simple really, and so it should be.

You say that fat people eat too much, but how much is too much? If I feel hungry shouldn't I eat? Isn't that how the body with its myriad of sensors and triggers operates?

So what's going on then with this world of fat people.

Let me say this. Fat people are NOT eating when they are NOT hungry. I'll re-iterate that. Fat people are not sitting there thinking, "you know I'm just not hungry but sod it, I'll eat a cream cake anyway".

The opposite is actually happening. These people ARE feeling hungry and so they are dutifully eating which is the natural and human thing to do. No-one is to blame if they are eating when they feel hungry.

So wherein lies the problem? It's simple.

If I inject you with a special substance that will mess with your body systems and sensors and triggers, I CAN MAKE YOU FEEL HUNGRY when in fact your body is not in the least bit hungry and has no need of additional energy.

If I do this, you will eat, and create energy, which your body has no use for, and thus it will lay that energy down as fat.

Fat people are not being injected. But they are nevertheless being drugged up with substances that make them feel hungry. The primary culprit for this is SUGAR, but there are others.

Manufacturers are mostly responsible for the nation's obesity. It is THEY that are putting the chemicals and sugars into the foods and that causes people to feel hungry when they are not. Fat people in no small part need some slack because they are not to blame.

What they need is food education, to be taught how sugar and other crap is screwing their system and thereby move them towards better food choices.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I agree and disagree all at the same time. I think there is more to calories in calories out (although that defies the laws of physics) I think there is might be more going on and it is very unique to each and every one of us.

We are as a nation more fatter than 20-30 years (me included) I think that is because firstly we're more affluent but also wherever we go there's an abundance of food available really quite cheaply. And yet there are those that remain stubbornly normal weight despite the availability of food and that must be to do with attitude.

I wonder sometimes if we aren't just going through an evolutionary shift and fat will become the new norm. I hope so anyway.
That would be nice
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Let me say this. Fat people are NOT eating when they are NOT hungry. I'll re-iterate that. Fat people are not sitting there thinking, "you know I'm just not hungry but sod it, I'll eat a cream cake anyway".
Hmm, I dunno... I've heard many many MANY overweight and obese people say that they don't even know what hunger feels like because they're constantly shoving food in their faces.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The opposite is actually happening. These people ARE feeling hungry and so they are dutifully eating which is the natural and human thing to do. No-one is to blame if they are eating when they feel hungry.
Absolute nonsense and bilge !
Fat people eat not because they are hungry, but for the pleasure of eating and the taste of the food.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 08:23 AM

I assume you are a fat person speaking from experience or have some anthropological evidence ? Surely you can't be ..... ummm prejudiced against fat people and just use that prejudice to frame your views. NO surely not.

Absolute nonsense and bilge !
Fat people eat not because they are hungry, but for the pleasure of eating and the taste of the food.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 08:30 AM

I assume you are a fat person speaking from experience or have some anthropological evidence ? Surely you can't be ..... ummm prejudiced against fat people and just use that prejudice to frame your views. NO surely not.
Wrong in most aspects apart from the 'prejudice' one
Baxter8
Somerset

19-06-2016, 08:33 AM

It's the last prejudice that still hasn't been outlawed! Give it time then you'll be reported to the fat discrimination police.

Wrong in most aspects apart from the 'prejudice' one
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

19-06-2016, 08:55 AM

It's the last prejudice that still hasn't been outlawed! Give it time then you'll be reported to the fat discrimination police.
Who, no doubt, will all be 20stone plus
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 11:32 AM

Interesting cocktail of facts and fantasies so far.
Losing weight by reduction of intake has been demonstrated by Newcastle University's research with this in the case of diabetics - and it works.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top