Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

24-02-2017, 11:21 PM

Re: At this age, I think exercise might kill me if I start.

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
That's the spirit !
I was going to say, "Whatever possessed you to do that?!"

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2017, 08:55 AM

The problem I have with that Lindyloo is the fact that when you get fit your heart beats slower. My resting heart rate is 48 bpm. So even if I exercise one hour a day, my heart will be running slower than a non runner for twenty three hours.

Even running, once you attain fitness, it gets harder to push the heart rate up to over say 120 bpm, something that a sedentary person would achieve just watching a horror film.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

26-02-2017, 03:41 AM

For years now my mantra has been;

It's not fat, sugar, salt, tobacco, alcohol that will kill you the quickest - it's stress.

And by "stress" I mean continuous, unrelieved anxiety.

But "stress", in the sense of wholesome challenges that force you to extend yourself, is what keeps us healthy.

(Disclaimer: All of the above substances will certainly kill you in excess, of course.)
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by HopeFloats ->
So, I am soon to be 57, really not a fan of exercising. I lost 40 lbs due to having been diagnosed diabetic and that started my motivation to lose another 20. Since my weight has stabilized I need to step it up to make it the next 20 and have decided to go to a class (starts tomorrow). I am so self conscious, will I be the fattest one there? The oldest? Will I be able to keep up or get laughed at if I don't? Unreasonable fears I know but fears never the less. I have stayed away from gyms from fear of skinny chicks in perfect form and outfits. Will I die if I work out after decades of neglect?
I can give you ten years, and I do daily exercise. I know a lady who will be 100 this year and she was still walking a mile or two daily in her late 90s.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 10:01 PM

it's worth going to a gym because it eliminates distractions you would get when training at home, plus it's easy to lack motivation in your own home. I do walk a lot because of the job I do, but the gym is where I feel I am actually doing exercise.

I'm a bit older than you, by a few years, and also a diabetic, although I have LADA, not Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes as such. I did lose weight, hoping to reverse what was thought to be Type 2 Diabetes, but even though I dropped 8st it didn't reverse the Diabetes I have. Mine is caused by my immune system killing off my insulin-producing cells, so I'm never going to produce a normal level of insulin, sadly.

Still, 14" off my waistline makes me feel light as a feather in comparison to my obese status, and it has brought a lot of health benefits to my life in general. Good luck in your venture, HopeFloats.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Well done to you Tachyon
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
Well done to you Tachyon
I'm 12 stone now, having lost half a stone in a couple of weeks after a nasty virus, and I'm looking a bit too skinny. That's 9 stone lost in total, but that's definitely it for me - no more weight loss for me. Hopefully.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Well glad you are over it, there have been some nasty bugs about this year. I think as we get older its nice to have a bit of meat on our bones, but of course its keeping a balance that is difficult sometimes.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2017, 10:45 AM

That is such a good weight loss Tachyon, good for you.

I have started up walking again or should I say walking a bit further. Instead of getting the bus both ways from the park and ride where I leave my car each day I have started walking one way. With it being so much nicer now it is not too much of a chore. It clears the head as well.
Tachyon

03-04-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks Citronella and Shirley. I appreciate the kind comments.

I like walking as well, and I frequently walk to work and back if the weather is fine. It's only a 30 minute walk each way though, so it probably doesn't really have much health benefits as such. I should try for a longer walk, if I can find a nice route. It gives you time to think and, as you say, it clears the head. I also go to the gym whenever I can, although work gets in the way too much for my liking. I was there today, and I thought I'd try for a 2 hour session rather than my usual 1 hour session - I had nothing planned for the rest of the day and I thought "what the heck".

I duly signed into the gym and kept glancing at the clock to see how I was doing and after the two hours I went to sign out, feeling tired but pleased. However, when I checked the lobby clock to put the sign-out time in, I'd somehow managed to mix the times up and I'd actually done 3 hours! I think my brain is losing the plot, although to be fair it is a very sociable gym and we all chat a lot as we train, so maybe I got distracted. Still, I am pretty pleased, all in all.

I think just the 1 hour tomorrow though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top