Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Re: Some really good news

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Now is the time to ask LD and regain your interest in photography. Go for it mate, you know that you want to
Originally Posted by realspeed ->
definately go for it
Thanks.

I have always fiddled with my cameras but never really had the time. I have more time now so will have a go. First of all, I need to buy a new memory card.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
I'm yet to see a camera club that actually teaches photography. The one's I've been to are more concerned with beating each other in competitions.
That's very true and such a shame.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 05:08 PM

I've taken several courses but as soon as numbers come into it I go into zombie mode! I have to be shown things several times before it sinks in. Also, there seems to be more emphasis on editing than learning skills. Photoshop may as well be in Martian!
Camera clubs would be fine if you didn't get the equipment "snobs" who rather than share skills information will bore you to death with their bragging.
Hence why I'm still, pointing and shooting and muddling along, willy nilly.
I really enjoy photography, it's taken place of painting and drawing which I find difficult now.
It's great that's you're taking time to help!
By the way I've done some photoshoots for our Steampunk group, it's soooooo boring, our photographer is now known as Jom! ( just one more...) and yes he has awesome equipment
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 08:19 PM

My photo that won the June competition, was out of focus and dark because I took it without a flash in a dark corner, without editing it, it was the only way to get a "vintage" effect. So technically it was not good but it made an artistic picture. I'm no good at technical stuff and take photos for the "art" composition rather than being a good photograph.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Tessa
i would not go near any camera club from what I have heard. A friend went to one and exactly they same as you described " mine is better than yours" attitude. To not have anyone at a club not try and help you shows the members for what they are

I think you will find that most photographers you see out and about are only too happy to explain on a one to one basis. They are doing it not talking about it

When I have been out with my camera I often get stopped by people asking questions, some I can answer and some I can't . This applies mainly to different makes to what I have, but tips on composition -angles- foregrounds what to avoid is common to all cameras.

When I did that photo in this months comp of the sky over the Baltic sea I had several people asking as to how to get the best shot for example.
No photographer can say take it this way or that as situations alter every time, be on daylight and shadows . I waited for some time on the cruise ship deck for the right moment and for me it was worth it to get that right photo.

Club competitions are worthless in my opinion, it could well be a case of I put your up this time if you do the same for me next time. The only ones worth entering are national or international ones where the judge doesn't know the person. Yes I have won a couple of internationals more by luck than judgement I hasten to say

This was one of them

Nothing amazing about it , but the theme of the competiton was romance. Most submitted photos were of couples on a beach looking into the sunset type of shot.

I think I won because it was an "out of the box" type of photo as they say, something one would not usually associate with romance. Anyway it was a winning photo.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Many of us on here really like to take photos. Whether it be a quick snap on a basic camera, adventurous on a bridge, or upgraded to a DSLR. I have had many a conversation with Mr Oy and he has agreed to help with all things technical with camera settings, composition, exposure, Lightroom, Photoshop etc. This is your chance to ask questions to a pro photographer and others on here with experience of all things photographic.
I would like to thank Dave in advance for his time in helping set up this thread.
Over to you guys
Thank you Gasman and Mr Oy for starting this thread, your help and advice will be most welcome to some of us point and shooters.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:17 PM

What does help when asking questions about your camera and settings to mention which camera you are using.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-07-2017, 06:45 PM

I was thinking the other day (yesI know its painful) about still camera v Camcorder and which is better.

Each has its own advantage so a tough choice. I suppose it boils down to personal preference

Which is more interesting

better quality generally

or video version (allow for showing via youtube)

with the stills it is easy to get hard copies, impossible with video. Video shows around the subject as well.

I at the moment are tending to go more towards the video side of photography, but still have a deep interest in taking stills.

What do you think???
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've taken several courses but as soon as numbers come into it I go into zombie mode! I have to be shown things several times before it sinks in. Also, there seems to be more emphasis on editing than learning skills. Photoshop may as well be in Martian!
Camera clubs would be fine if you didn't get the equipment "snobs" who rather than share skills information will bore you to death with their bragging.
Hence why I'm still, pointing and shooting and muddling along, willy nilly.
I really enjoy photography, it's taken place of painting and drawing which I find difficult now.
It's great that's you're taking time to help!
By the way I've done some photoshoots for our Steampunk group, it's soooooo boring, our photographer is now known as Jom! ( just one more...) and yes he has awesome equipment
Snap!

I just mean all those numbers and twiddle this, change that, whatever I want to snap is long gone before I would be able to do all that.
So Like you I just point and shoot and hope for the best.
I am not a sit and wait photographer or composer of shots I am an oppertunist who sees something and snaps..
Im always happy if I get one or two good shots..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-07-2017, 07:15 PM

it is a pity you don't live nearer, I would really enjoy helping you with your photography so you can get more out of it. The best way I think is a one to one with someone who understands the problems with those who only take snaps.

I find there is a set proceedure in teaching someone and not just saying do this or that. One has to start with the basics and that means auto mode allowing then for composition -lighting etc to get to grips with first
So many look at a camera and all the settings it has and thinks I can never learn all this and you can't. It is a step by step learning process .and takes time.
I am still learning after more years than i care to remember

You can go to the most qualified photographer who constantly takes award winning photos ,but if they can't get
across to others what they are on about they are not the people to go to.
Also many are reluctant to give advice in case those taught take away their business

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top