Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 05:49 PM

Re: Capitalism

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The way forward is perhaps the John Lewis Model, a partnership, with profits shared.

Such a model is not however favoured by the big Unions as it effectively destroys them and certainly removes their political clout.

There has to be recognition for those who start businesses, without them there would be no jobs.

They take the risks, put the money up and stand to lose everything, which paid workers do not.

It is profits that pay wages .

There must however be regulation, the likes of Phillip Green must never be allowed to get away with it again.
It is immaterial if the unions like it or not really, and I say that as a fan of trade unionism in general. If the workers remain happy the unions have no need to be involved.

What recognition does a job creator need other than a fair return for their effort ? As somebody that was asked by his employer how much did I think I was worth, when asking for a rise, I told him "You cannot afford to pay me what I am worth, you need to replace stock and pay yourself too"
I was at the time the only full time producer of the companies product. I recognised he paid the rent, it was his machinery, he was the salesman, but should he go broke I would lose my source of income too.
I got a decent raise.

The problem with large employers is that they forget they employ people, the wage bill is just another set of figures.
It riles me every time Mrs May talks of the creation of jobs, many of which are in retail like mine. Most of the staff are on minimum wage, with part time hours and receive top up benefits.While the owners are obscenely rich.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 06:26 PM

It seems immoral to me to pay top up benefits when companies are paying low wages. Either make them pay proper wages or tax them enough to offset the top ups. We are encouraging people to depend on benefits by normalising these top ups.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It seems immoral to me to pay top up benefits when companies are paying low wages. Either make them pay proper wages or tax them enough to offset the top ups. We are encouraging people to depend on benefits by normalising these top ups.
Hi

If we did that I would hate to live in London.

Prices would go through the roof.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Hi

How so ? They wouldn't be getting more than they do with the top ups now unless you are accepting people are badly underpaid.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:29 PM

How so ? They wouldn't be getting more than they do with the top ups now unless you are accepting people are badly underpaid.
Hi

Taxation is national, living wage requirements vary enormously across the UK due to the cost of living.

Bath is around twice as expensive as Bradford, yet a person on £30,000 a year pays exactly the same amount of tax.

The living wage in Bath would have to be twice as high as it is in Bradford.

Employers would have to pay twice as much as they do for an identical job in Bradford, so prices would have to go up.

It really is that simple.

If you increase taxation as you suggest as an alternative, you create even more problems on a regional basis.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Hi

I may be a bit simple, but why should this be ?

There is a term "Gentrification" that is clear to see in areas like Islington where former council homes are now changing hands at eye watering prices.
Don't know the solution, but THAT is the problem.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
I may be a bit simple, but why should this be ?

There is a term "Gentrification" that is clear to see in areas like Islington where former council homes are now changing hands at eye watering prices.
Don't know the solution, but THAT is the problem.
Now let me see whose bright idea started all that off?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Hi

Taxation is national, living wage requirements vary enormously across the UK due to the cost of living.

Bath is around twice as expensive as Bradford, yet a person on £30,000 a year pays exactly the same amount of tax.

The living wage in Bath would have to be twice as high as it is in Bradford.

Employers would have to pay twice as much as they do for an identical job in Bradford, so prices would have to go up.

It really is that simple.

If you increase taxation as you suggest as an alternative, you create even more problems on a regional basis.
Before nmw it worked fine. People in London surrey etc were paid more than people up north and we paid more in rent and goods etc too. Its only since nmw brought the South's wages down to meet the norths we have had so many problems down here IMO
Bruv
Kent UK

21-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Now let me see whose bright idea started all that off?
You know how to rattle my cage don't you ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Before nmw it worked fine. People in London surrey etc were paid more than people up north and we paid more in rent and goods etc too. Its only since nmw brought the South's wages down to meet the norths we have had so many problems down here IMO
Hi

Simple solution to your statement.

Abolish the National Minimum Wage, that is what you are blaming.

We will let market forces rule.

Is that what you really want?

Good luck to you, the illegals will savage you.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top