Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 09:29 PM

Oil

When did Oil become such a specialized thing, the Wife has a Focus ST, after 3800 miles, the Oil was on minimum, could not just buy any Oil, it had to be Ford stuff £43.00 for 4ltrs, that's 10 X more expensive than petrol, what's that all about.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 09:35 PM

Re: Oil

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
When did Oil become such a specialized thing, the Wife has a Focus ST, after 3800 miles, the Oil was on minimum, could not just buy any Oil, it had to be Ford stuff £43.00 for 4ltrs, that's 10 X more expensive than petrol, what's that all about.
It doesn't need to be Ford stuff mate - just the correct grade etc. It probably just uses a 5w-30 fully synthetic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-XTC5L.../dp/B002RPMQIK
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 10:01 PM

5w-20 fully synthetic has gone into it, I checked the handbook before I broke the seal, as the sales guy seemed a bit miffed, but the code checked out.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
5w-20 fully synthetic has gone into it, I checked the handbook before I broke the seal, as the sales guy seemed a bit miffed, but the code checked out.
Is it an older ST?
The newer ones (I think) take 5-30.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

29-10-2017, 08:02 AM

It is April this year model, trouble is the handbook does not mention the ST as a separate model, but it does state the 2.0ltr Duratec engine requires 5w-20.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 10:29 AM

I was led to believe by a car mechanic that it was better to put a good quality oil in my car.
Last week I went to Halfords who took my reg number and then gave me a list of oil and engine compartment fluids that I could buy to suit my car. The list comprised of their own products obviously.
I was going to buy a more expensive Castrol oil though. Am I wasting money?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

29-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I was led to believe by a car mechanic that it was better to put a good quality oil in my car.
Last week I went to Halfords who took my reg number and then gave me a list of oil and engine compartment fluids that I could buy to suit my car. The list comprised of their own products obviously.
I was going to buy a more expensive Castrol oil though. Am I wasting money?
What car do you have?
The Comma oil I linked to is very good. Comma have been around a long time. They often make oil for others which is rebranded and the price doubled.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 12:03 PM

Hi

I find this site quite cheap.

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/engi...530_g3224.html
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Oil, like most things has gone high tech, it has to cope with today's modern engines, gone are the days when you had to change the oil from summer, thicker, to a winter, thinner, oil, now it has to be the correct grade to suit the correct type of engine, diesel or petrol , and as usual manufacturers have cottoned on and command a premium
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
What car do you have?
The Comma oil I linked to is very good. Comma have been around a long time. They often make oil for others which is rebranded and the price doubled.
Its a 12 year old Fiat Punto Sporting 16v 1400cc. It runs really well and has only done 74000. Last 16 months I only added 1100 more miles. I bought it from my mechanics wife.
Apart from a problem with the paintwork and the electrical system check the car runs really well and sailed through its last MOT. The MOT tester said when doing the emissions test how good the engine is running, hence I don't want to use cheap oil but don't want to get ripped off either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top